Electrician Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CAREER CHANGE NEED ADVICE

Hey guys first time forum user. I'm looking to make a career change into the electrical field at 28. Been in sales for 6 years and absolutely despise waking up every morning and bull****ting people. Worked for electrical contractor in college and loved it. Have job opportunity with same guy with tons of work available. Was wondering what would be the best and quickest path to attaining my license in NJ? As well as any other advice the community has. Really appreciate it guys. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,937 Posts
Bump

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Work 5 years on the books and have your boss sign off on the papers from the state. Once the state has those papers the board electrical examiners will either approve or disapprove you to sit in on the exam. The exam has three parts: electrical, business, and alarms.

There's a lot to learn before sitting in for the exam. I suggest going to vo-tech at night for at least a few classes to fine tune your skills so you know the difference between a series and parallel circuit and have the ability to figure out what size service you'll need for a 4200 square foot house with 2 sump pumps, a dishwasher, a garbage disposal, and 2 a/c condensing units.

There's more but I have to go look at a job before I am late.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
CAREER CHANGE NEED ADVICE

Hey guys first time forum user. I'm looking to make a career change into the electrical field at 28. Been in sales for 6 years and absolutely despise waking up every morning and bull****ting people. Worked for electrical contractor in college and loved it. Have job opportunity with same guy with tons of work available. Was wondering what would be the best and quickest path to attaining my license in NJ? As well as any other advice the community has. Really appreciate it guys. Thanks
Welcome to the forum..:thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts