Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
fertilizer distrubuter
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do wire staples need to be completely tight to count as a support? I leave them loose inside wall cavities for future pulling . It works great. Someone told me it was not up to code and I do not have the foggiest idea of how to defend my position.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Loose/snug what's it matter.
The straps are doing their job right?
I'm the same I keep them an gas well.
But I don't think leaving more rm is against any code I know of.
The one piece staples have stops on them if you don't sink them in a little they stay loose.
No problems I can see!

Sent from my iPhone using electriciantalk.com

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Do wire staples need to be completely tight to count as a support? I leave them loose inside wall cavities for future pulling . It works great. Someone told me it was not up to code and I do not have the foggiest idea of how to defend my position.
Wood, as you know, swells and shrinks with seasonal cycles of dryness and humidity

This has a tendency to tighten/loosen almost any fastener in ones home , including staples.

Insulated staples are a requirement of some states (Massachooooosits?) because of this

~CS~

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Wood, as you know, swells and shrinks with seasonal cycles of dryness and humidity

This has a tendency to tighten/loosen almost any fastener in ones home , including staples.

Insulated staples are a requirement of some states (Massachooooosits?) because of this

~CS~
Oh, I thought it was another code(lobbied by manufactures) so that a contractor had to spend more money!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
334.30 Securing and Supporting
Nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall be supported and secured by staples, cable ties, straps, hanger s, or similar fittings designed and installed so as not to damage the cable, at intervals not exceeding 1.4 m (41⁄2 ft) and within 300 mm (12 in.) of every outlet box, junction box, cabinet, or fitting. Flat cables shall not be stapled on edge.
If the inspector wants to be picky he could say that you have not secured the cables.

·
Registered
712 Posts
i thought it was one of the reason for arc faults?! i remember when my master cussed me out for stapling one too tight one time.. wish they made a real nm stapler gun.. (GB didn't count. heard bad things about it). ive also heard about cardboard as a guide.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
The higher the cost of the job, the higher the profit on the job.
The customer pays, so who cares.
Everyone should care as soon the cost of a house will be out reach for some additional consumers.

Seat belts might be uncomfortable for some. So do we need some government agency to mandate Sheep Skin covers for all seat belt because of a few, It is only pennies a car.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Everyone should care as soon the cost of a house will be out reach for some additional consumers.

Seat belts might be uncomfortable for some. So do we need some government agency to mandate Sheep Skin covers for all seat belt because of a few, It is only pennies a car.
You are absolutely correct. Using insulated staples is going to price a house out of the reach of buyers.

·
Registered
10,626 Posts

GM and Ford are asking for sq. ft. pricing on seatbelt sheepskins...

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.