Electrician Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some suggestions or help with middle management. It seems the work ethic has changed a bit workers just dont care anymore it seems.

Im plagued with what I know and have learned behaviors of perfection in the job place. I was trained up by a mean foreman in my early apprentice years and his style of leadership has stuck with me. He was a very good electrician and he always met the schedule on date with no mistakes he worked us hard every minute of everyday.

i am finding that type of leadership is not working so well with my guys. Im getting burned out.

The other thing is I dont think like an employee any more either since being in business for myself for some years. i now think like an employer which is tough with guys who think they know it all. Cause im always looking for the most cost effective way to do things and always have to think 10 steps ahead of the employee. Which doesnt always jive with some employees.

All these projects are layed in my lap and its my job to make sure nothin goes wrong and everything is perfect. And motivate these employees that seem to be always working against me.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
32,807 Posts
I look at all my men and weigh their pluses and minuses, one guy works fairly fast and dos mostly decent work but their are issues, another does great work, but has customer issues, 3rd guy does it all great but is often late (5-10 minutes). You have to decide, 1. Do their plus's out weigh their minuses? 2. Are there better men out their? 3. Can I live with what I have?

And if it gets to the point where it is driving you crazy, you need to decide should you stay and be unhappy or should you look for something else, or are you being unreasonable in your expectations?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Spot on John. I had 20 employees at one point. You do need to remember that that people are folks. All different, thankfully but a nightmare for an employer.

If you are making a profit. If you are not despairing turning in - in the mornings. If you can joke still with your staff. Then stick with it. Its is just as likely that you could be just as miserable looking after no one but yourself,

Frank

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I would suggested some type of effective supervision seminar But please make sure its is set up for the year 2000 plus. Your employees will never be like you ever.Employees also live in a fast pace at times stressful environment also.We all face many issues in this day and age. Do you give your employees extra incentive's for performing well things like a gift certificate for dinner with the wife so they may be able to escape from the kids for a few hours ??. Being treated like a robot producing mechanism may not go over so well these days.Plus I make sure that Our company Makes enough Profit to be able to give something back to the employee.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.