Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I’m 18 years old and currently inrolled into a electrical program that’s helps me get my level 1 as well as help me get hired into the union it’s run by IBEW 2085. I was wanting know how I can move from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada to the us like Texas, California, or Florida as a journeyman electrician and still work in the unions there???
Or am I better of becoming a linesman here in Winnipeg then once I become a journeyman linesman then move? Will it transfer over??

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,362 Posts
Welcome
Your post is confusing. You are not a journeyman at 18, so are you looking to move now or in 5-6 years.
If you are looking to move now do it soon because you will more than likely have to start over.
If you are looking to move in 5-6 years why wait do your training in the states.
Each state has it's own rules on requirements so best to train/learn where you plan to work.

Good luck
Cowboy

·
Registered
322 Posts
Speak to your IBEW 2085 administration about this move. They may be able to assist you as far as transferring from your local to the associate local where you wish to locate. Also right now due to COVID-19 there is likely restrictions.

Since you stated you are level 1 and you are 18 years old, as just the cowboy stated, you are a first year apprentice. Is this for Power Maintenance Electrician or Construction Electrician? Either one, it will be benefit you to complete you apprenticeship first then apply to go to the US. Benefits you in at least 2 ways: You will be a fully licensed electrician and COVID-19 restrictions may be lifted or null and void by then.

Good Luck.

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
4,893 Posts
First off, a construction electrician is not a linesman.
As stated earlier, there is a good chance a Red Seal will not be recognized in the states.
Unless you are moving immediately, complete the Red Seal and make a decision then. It would make it easier to take whatever local exams you would have to write.
From what I understand, there is no nationally recognized license in the states, so whenever you change locals, you may have to write again.
The American electricians here could clarify that.

Reactions: Hunterzh4

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
First off, a construction electrician is not a linesman.
As stated earlier, there is a good chance a Red Seal will not be recognized in the states.
Unless you are moving immediately, complete the Red Seal and make a decision then. It would make it easier to take whatever local exams you would have to write.
From what I understand, there is no nationally recognized license in the states, so whenever you change locals, you may have to write again.
The American electricians here could clarify that.
I'd say this too.

I can't even move from Cali to Texas, or Oregon, or Florida without probably jumping through hoops for a few years.

The US may not be all sunshine and lollipops like you think anyway, Cali is burning waterless beast, Florida has **** wages, too many hurricanes, and from watching the news.. an inordinate amount of weird people doing stupid things, and then there is Texas... Everyone from Cali is moving there, so it is pretty much a craphole about to happen!

Get the Red Seal and then move. That way if you ever go back, you got a job still. Canada ain't gonna accept your Neanderthal Merican license if/when you move back North.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts