Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wanting to run a 2000 foot piece of 12 volt DC LED strip lighting. The LEDs come in 16 foot rolls and draw 20watts and .4amps per roll. So doing basic math I would need 125 rolls of lights and a power supply that could handle 2500 watts and 50 amps. I was planing on running them in parallel so i was going to run two 6 gauge wires 2000 foot long each and just attaching the led strips to it every 16 feet. Now here is my question I need help with. I was worried about line voltage drop. i was wondering if there would be enough voltage at the end of the line to even power the LEDs. Or would i have to run 120volt AC line and then attach a AC/DC converter to each LED strip to drop it to 12volt DC. If i ran the 120 volt AC line 2000 feet with 50 amps drawing on it then by the calculator it would have 25 volts at the end of the line. Would a standard 120vAC to 12vDC converter even work if you were plunging it into a 25 volt a/c outlet?

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
I was wanting to run a 2000 foot piece of 12 volt DC LED strip lighting. The LEDs come in 16 foot rolls and draw 20watts and .4amps per roll. So doing basic math I would need 125 rolls of lights and a power supply that could handle 2500 watts and 50 amps. I was planing on running them in parallel so i was going to run two 6 gauge wires 2000 foot long each and just attaching the led strips to it every 16 feet. Now here is my question I need help with. I was worried about line voltage drop. i was wondering if there would be enough voltage at the end of the line to even power the LEDs. Or would i have to run 120volt AC line and then attach a AC/DC converter to each LED strip to drop it to 12volt DC. If i ran the 120 volt AC line 2000 feet with 50 amps drawing on it then by the calculator it would have 25 volts at the end of the line. Would a standard 120vAC to 12vDC converter even work if you were plunging it into a 25 volt a/c outlet?

There's no way you wanna buy a single power supply to run all that. I would run 120 volt feeds everywhere and have normal size power supply for every 250 watts (or close) of 12 volts you're using.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
I would hire an Electrician before you miswire one of those transformers and kill yourself or even worse someone else.

Reactions: ce2two

·
Registered
84 Posts
Read the manufacturers instructions, it should tell you the lengths that you can use per circuit and what size conductors you should install. Also don't hesitate to call the manufacturer to ask specific questions for your installation.

·
Registered
161 Posts
olossus said:
Just run some 600 kcmil :)

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts

It is painfully obvious you are deep over your head. 12 volts, 50 amps, 2000' on 6 AWG. :laughing::laughing:

Check out this voltage drop calculator and see what you come up with.

http://www.nooutage.com/vdrop.htm

(Hint, it will take three sets of 750 kcmil copper conductors per leg just to stay under 10% drop, this would be tens of thousands of $ :D)

Keep in mind that for something like this you would want to do 'point to point' voltage drop calculations so you would start off with a very large conductor and keep reducing the size as you go further.

I also agree that you will not run this from s single 12 volt power supply.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,796 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.