Electrician Talk banner

Help needed in MI on licensing

919 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  jimeb 
#1 ·
Hello all i am a michigan licensed journeyman electrician and have been in the trade since 89/ 90 when i 1st started. The entire time ive been in the trade its been my understanding that any and everyone needs to be licensed to work in this state and needs a Michigan license to do it. Since i have been working at my current company a auto parts manufacturer in MI the company i work for has hired 4 total over the last 3 years that are not licensed. I voiced a complaint about this which i was told no you do not need to be by the hr manager.
So i decided to call the state and ask them they would know right. I called and yes they confirmed that indeed to do any electrical work in MI you need this states license. Essentially you must be a registered apprentice, a journeyman or a master. I went back to the company and told them this and the HR manager laughed at me saying thats not true. Frustrated i again called the state saying which is it im getting 1 thing from them and another from you and i also asked am i in any way liable for the 2 that are still here. They state yes they can take my license from me and it falls under a aiding and abetting act. Well isnt that nice i though. Okay i returned to work and told them that and i refused to work with help or train thier illegal electricians they kept hiring. Well yesterday i get pulled into a meeting with seinor management HR my supervisor his supervisor the 2 illegals and my 2 union reps and im told they are not breaking any laws and cited some act from 1956 to back thier claims. Then they basically said any refusal to train or work with them will be considered a code of conduct violation and i will be terminated.

So im stuck the company says one thing the state says another 1 way im fired the other my license is stripped from me.

I need help and in a big way i do not know who to turn to. I know the state says i have to turn them in and provide proof. I need any help anyone can offer. Legal advise knowledge of the specific laws one way or another and possibly lawyers that have delt with this. Also if i turn the company in ohh i know they are comming after me so am i covered under any kind of a whistle blower clause.

Thank you ahead of time.

See less See more
#4 ·
Sounds like a tough situation. Here in Connecticut a similar situation came up. The state board moved to enjoin the illegal electricians, and the company sued. The state lost the lawsuit. It goes back to the intent of the licencing laws, mainly to protect the public from incompetent or unscrupulous electricians. The court reasoned that in-house maintenance electricians are exempt from the license laws because an employer is capable of determining the competency of its employees, and they aren't offering electrical services to the public. Connecticut's licensing laws only prohibit unlicensed people from offering specific services such as electrical, plumbing, HVAC, etc. to the general public. Check the language in your states electrician licensing laws and see what it says. Then I would suggest contacting an attorney who may be able to figure out whether you are potentially putting yourself in legal hot water with the state board. Quite frankly aiding and abetting unlicensed activity is a bit of a stretch in this situation given that the laws regarding who needs to be licensed may not be completely clear. I think it's just a state trying to flex its muscle.

#6 ·
Well.. you are in a tough spot. They can't fire you for ratting them out, but they will fire you for farting the wrong direction shortly after ratting them out. If this is a dangerous situation or you feel you may become liable, go line up another job and drop a dime. Legal or illegal, shortly after you rat you will no longer work there. They will come up with a reason to legitimately fire you unrelated to this or make your life a living hell until you voluntarily quit.

#7 ·
Hello all i am a michigan licensed journeyman electrician and have been in the trade since 89/ 90 when i 1st started.

So im stuck the company says one thing the state says another 1 way im fired the other my license is stripped from me.

Thank you ahead of time.

Your not really stuck, you just can't decide what you want. You listed some of your options. There are others, as well.

Staying there you will never get to move up and obtain a masters license, if there is no master to sign for your time.

I did automotive work in the beginning, but decided to leave it, even though I liked it, so that my time could count towards qualifying for a masters test. It was an investment. A cut in pay, took on a licensed partner, and got the clock started. Got the masters and moved on, to hang a shingle out.

Now, I still do automotive industry work, but under my terms. It's not for everyone. I started about the same time frame as you, and have been on my own since 95. Freedom has its responsibilities though.

You started the ball of wax, you should finish it. Instead of living on the edge of being employed or not, and being unhappy all the while. Your straddling the line as it sits now. Id be looking for a place where your time could be qualified, for your benefit.

#8 ·
Yes your correct i am not acruing hrs towards my masters. I already have those hrs and then some from previous employers. I just never went the next step due to every were i looked it was rare a company would pay any extra for a masters.

Right now my plan is to push a grievance through if that does nothing file the complaint with the state and turn them in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.