Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:gunsmilie:Hello,

I'm semi-new to the forum and just want to say thanks in advance to anyone who is reading and can maybe help me out a bit. I'm only about a week into my 3rd year course and it's been about 2 years since I did my 2nd year and I've been distracted with flu and having to find a new place and move lately so I'm struggling a bit to catch up now.

What I am asking is, could anyone let me know what some key fundamentals are for 3rd year. I know there's a lot to cover and I will ask if I need specifics, but if anyone can help me with formula's I'll definetely need to memorize, or really have down pat, I'd be greatful. I have my first big test in about 2 weeks, I'm struggling a bit with the delta and wye 3 (phase) questions, I think the test will be on that and DC motors, etc., I'd really like to do well on it! Any help, or advice, is muchly appreciated!

·
Buzzy304E
1,167 Posts
:gunsmilie:Hello,

I'm semi-new to the forum and just want to say thanks in advance to anyone who is reading and can maybe help me out a bit. I'm only about a week into my 3rd year course and it's been about 2 years since I did my 2nd year and I've been distracted with flu and having to find a new place and move lately so I'm struggling a bit to catch up now.

What I am asking is, could anyone let me know what some key fundamentals are for 3rd year. I know there's a lot to cover and I will ask if I need specifics, but if anyone can help me with formula's I'll definetely need to memorize, or really have down pat, I'd be greatful. I have my first big test in about 2 weeks, I'm struggling a bit with the delta and wye 3 (phase) questions, I think the test will be on that and DC motors, etc., I'd really like to do well on it! Any help, or advice, is muchly appreciated!

My advice is to get out your books and start studying. No substitute for it, no magic pill.

·
Banned
2,507 Posts
Welcome, what school are you going to? I'm doing 4th year at BCIT Burnaby right now and it's been a long time since I did 3rd year.. bad choice!

All the formulas will be given to you in class. I think the curriculum varies by province even though the theory is all the same.

If you have any specific questions or need help, let me know.. I might be able to lend some knowledge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to BCIT as well, I did my year 1 & 2 elsewhere though and yeah I do find the curriculam is different. I'm not finding a lot of examples in the books, I like to see examples and then do excersises that relate to those examples at home. Is there any websites, or books that have that sort of thing (3rd year examples and questions)? We did a pop quiz today to see where everyone's at and I was glad to see I'm not the only one who's getting off to a slow start. I'd like to know how you find certain values, when only given a few to start. Most questions start off with few given values and ask to the other(s). I find a lot of questions usually start by stating the Voltage and either the frequency (hz) or,(Kva/kw/etc...) and some resistance values (ohms). We are currently doing DC motors and 3phase Delta/Wye stuff.

I'll take some pictures of some questions and put them in my next post, maybe someone can explain them to me (how to find what from what), but here's one question example I can word for now:

1) A shunt generator is rated 125V, 25 KW, Armature R = 0.08 ohms, shunt field R = 25 ohms. Determine:

a- the generated EMF in the armature at rated load
b- the watts loss in the armature
c- the watts loss in the shunt field circuit
d- the total power generated in the armature

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
CLUE said:
I'm going to BCIT as well, I did my year 1 & 2 elsewhere though and yeah I do find the curriculam is different. I'm not finding a lot of examples in the books, I like to see examples and then do excersises that relate to those examples at home. Is there any websites, or books that have that sort of thing (3rd year examples and questions)? We did a pop quiz today to see where everyone's at and I was glad to see I'm not the only one who's getting off to a slow start. I'd like to know how you find certain values, when only given a few to start. Most questions start off with few given values and ask to the other(s). I find a lot of questions usually start by stating the Voltage and either the frequency (hz) or,(Kva/kw/etc...) and some resistance values (ohms). We are currently doing DC motors and 3phase Delta/Wye stuff.

I'll take some pictures of some questions and put them in my next post, maybe someone can explain them to me (how to find what from what), but here's one question example I can word for now:

1) A shunt generator is rated 125V, 25 KW, Armature R = 0.08 ohms, shunt field R = 25 ohms. Determine:

a- the generated EMF in the armature at rated load
b- the watts loss in the armature
c- the watts loss in the shunt field circuit
d- the total power generated in the armature
****, I guess my apprenticeship school sucked:(

·
Registered
838 Posts
Service Call said:
****, I guess my apprenticeship school sucked:(
Ours consisted of semiconductors, fire alarm, grounding and bonding, more AC theory (gennys) and creating resi blueprints to code minimum complete with cover sheet, take off and sealed bid submittal. There's more, I just can't remember it all.

·
Registered
728 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Is this a 4 year college ur going 2? If not what is the point of all the years (4)? Do you atleast get a bachelors degree???

·
Registered
838 Posts
denny3992 said:
Im guessing by now u have getting coffee and donuts correctly... Lmao
Haha! Boston Creme!!! Seriously, I've never been sent for coffee and donuts but I have been known to bring them of my own accord. I'm not mean all the time :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks greenman, already been to that elec-toolbox one and printed it, seems pretty useful! I'll check out the other ones and maybe they'll help me get a better grip. I'll also try and compile some questions that I'm having trouble with and post them soon. I want to study up for our first test, which is coming soon. I've been told it is one of the toughest ones of the course and I believe it! About to hit the books now and check on those sites, I appreciate you folks trying to help out on here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Here's some problems I could use help with, if someone's willing! The answer is there, so you can check it, but I need the process explained. I'm still working on how to size the pictures, so they dont take up the whole message board, I think it's easier to just use these direct links (full size and easier to read):

http://i45.tinypic.com/n3b69v.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
We did some review in class today and it really helped me out, I got a better understanding of the 3 phase, now I think I'm on the right track somewhat. I'll be studying every day/night for the upcoming test, I'll post some more questions if I'm stuck, so check back soon, I could still use some help on the last two though, if someone cares to explain it a bit.

·
Registered
728 Posts
good luck!!
We did some review in class today and it really helped me out, I got a better understanding of the 3 phase, now I think I'm on the right track somewhat. I'll be studying every day/night for the upcoming test, I'll post some more questions if I'm stuck, so check back soon, I could still use some help on the last two though, if someone cares to explain it a bit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks, i'll need it hah! I'm only doing a bit more tonight... tomorrow and Sunday I'm going to go over as much as possible. I'll probably post some questions tomorrow, after I finish what I can first, I know I'll get stuck on a few :wallbash: and I'd like to take full advantage of this weekend!

·
Registered
728 Posts
I can't recall any of that stuff, to many pints. and too long ago,
Never could study at home had to go to the libary. A good study habit will go along way.
thanks, i'll need it hah! I'm only doing a bit more tonight... tomorrow and Sunday I'm going to go over as much as possible. I'll probably post some questions tomorrow, after I finish what I can first, I know I'll get stuck on a few :wallbash: and I'd like to take full advantage of this weekend!

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Is this a 4 year college ur going 2? If not what is the point of all the years (4)? Do you atleast get a bachelors degree???
Nope, this stuff is a mandatory part of doing an electrical apprenticeship anywhere in Canada. 3 blocks of school approximately every ~2200 hours. At the end you get a license that applies across the country.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts