Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
Same way you would remove any bolt on breaker if the panel were energized.

Why would you not be able to shut it off? I've phoned Alarm companies and informed them they may get a signal, stuff like that.

When I was real young I was washing my car in my dad's driveway (he had an apartment block). He says, "don't do that you're making a mess" (gravel parking lot). I says "pretend it's raining.

So if you have a problem - pretend there is a power failure. Hit the switch or phone the poco to shut it down.

else don't do it.

Edit: drat... 'mortor control'

Hire an Electrician!

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
It surprises me how many people are okay with removing bolt on large size breakers with the power on. I won't even do it with the arc flash suit. Much easier and safer with the power off.
I agree.... if you want to do it with the power on you are rolling your own dice.

Pete

Reactions: guest

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
It surprises me how many people are okay with removing bolt on large size breakers with the power on. I won't even do it with the arc flash suit. Much easier and safer with the power off.
People like playing the odds. 99% of the time nothing bad happens working hot. I just don't want my family to be victims of that 1%

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
Like I say, pretend there is a power failure.

If you hire an Electrician that's what he going to do. Of course you can afford the down time. If your company can't I'd be looking for work elsewhere as they are about to fold.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Can't turn off power it's the main would have to call Edison to disconnect can't afford dwn time
Your safety is on you. Will your company treat you right and more importantly your family if something goes dramatically wrong because "they" can't afford the down time?

It really is your life in your own hands... maybe invite the CEO to come down and stand next to you while he/she is forcing you to change the breaker live so if something does go wrong he/she can reap the same benefits you will.

Pete

Reactions: glen1971 and guest

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Can't turn off power it's the main would have to call Edison to disconnect can't afford dwn time
What business' "up time" is worth more than the consequences if something goes wrong?? I'm hoping I don't end up working for those employers...
What if you slip with a screw? What if you slip with a screwdriver? What if you slip with a conductor? I'm guessing since you are asking to do this kind of work, you won't have any barriers up identifying your work zone - what if someone else enters it and something goes wrong?
Since you will have all the free time without waiting for your utility to disconnect it and do it safely, maybe use that time to look up some "arc flash videos" or "electrical fines"..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.