Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I need help with a school project. I don't have much fire alarm experience. I have done a drawing up but am not sure if it meets the objectives. Here is the project. Thanks!

Objective:
For this assignment, complete the wiring diagram using the components shown to enable the Fire Alarm Control Panel (FACP) to operate both the fan and door holder during an alarm condition.

Operation:
The 120V door holder is energized at all times, until the FACP goes into alarm. Then the door holder will release in order to compartmentalize the fire. The fan will bring fresh air into the building until the FACP goes into alarm. Then the fan will be shut down so that the fire will not get worse with extra oxygen being brought in. All components in the FACP will be operating at 24VDC so use the ancillary relay to interface the components in the field. The ancillary relay has 120VAC rated contacts with a 24VDC coil.

Procedure:
Complete all wiring on the terminals provided. No free air splices will be acceptable in FA wiring. Wiring must be shown neatly, using a straightedge. No sloppy work will be accepted. Wire all components in ‘fail safe’ mode. What this means is if a wire is cut or comes loose, the fan will shut down and the door will close at once, indicating a problem.

·
Armed and Unhinged
424 Posts
This should probably be in the structured wiring section.

Anyway your fire panel has N.C. and N.O. relays you can use. Put the door and fan on the closed relays; when your panel go's off it will open the circuit.

Edit: I'm on my phone and can't view your drawing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Seems legit - only thing i see as a possible problem is using the normally closed contacts on the auxiluary relay, which means that they should be closed in a de-energized state. That would make it where if a wire between the FACP and aux relay was cut, the door and fan wouldnt change state no matter what.

Maybe i am reading too much into what they are asking though.

·
Registered
728 Posts
They must use an aux power supply, you can not use the fac power for door holder,mag-locks or fan shutdowns.

·
Registered
728 Posts
hi,

i need help with a school project. I don't have much fire alarm experience. I have done a drawing up but am not sure if it meets the objectives. Here is the project. Thanks!

Objective:
For this assignment, complete the wiring diagram using the components shown to enable the fire alarm control panel (facp) to operate both the fan and door holder during an alarm condition.

Operation:
The 120v door holder is energized at all times, until the facp goes into alarm. Then the door holder will release in order to compartmentalize the fire. The fan will bring fresh air into the building until the facp goes into alarm. Then the fan will be shut down so that the fire will not get worse with extra oxygen being brought in. All components in the facp will be operating at 24vdc so use the ancillary relay to interface the components in the field. The ancillary relay has 120vac rated contacts with a 24vdc coil.

Procedure:
Complete all wiring on the terminals provided. No free air splices will be acceptable in fa wiring. Wiring must be shown neatly, using a straightedge. No sloppy work will be accepted. Wire all components in ‘fail safe’ mode. What this means is if a wire is cut or comes loose, the fan will shut down and the door will close at once, indicating a problem.
clas a or b????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts