Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may be a shot in the dark, but I thought I would give it a try.

I am possibly going to be doing some residential design for two remodels on homes about 2,500 to 3,000 square feet each. I do only commercial electrical design now and was wondering if any of you guys have any plans that you can share so I can see the amount of detail (or the lack thereof) I have to put on the plans. Also any input on what you guys as contractors would like to see or not see for that matter as well, on the plans.
Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.

·
Estwing magic
27,537 Posts
Interview the customer first. Find out what they want. Then quote on a scope of work. Fixture and device locations should be based on a walk through. If you design it then you're opening yourself up to too much "negotiating" after the fact. With renovation work you need to start with a rock solid scope of work. Then, when things change (and they will) submit your change orders accordingly.

If they want drawings, they provide them, not you. You don't need an argument with some soccer mom over switch locations after the board is up, especially when she can say YOU designed it wrong.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
99cents said:
Interview the customer first. Find out what they want. Then quote on a scope of work. Fixture and device locations should be based on a walk through. If you design it then you're opening yourself up to too much "negotiating" after the fact. With renovation work you need to start with a rock solid scope of work. Then, when things change (and they will) submit your change orders accordingly.

If they want drawings, they provide them, not you. You don't need an argument with some soccer mom over switch locations after the board is up, especially when she can say YOU designed it wrong.
That's why you have the customer review and sign off on the drawings. Anything outside the scope and drawings is a change order.

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
It sounds to me like he is the drafter. Which means, he is providing them.

That's why you have the customer review and sign off on the drawings. Anything outside the scope and drawings is a change order.
Again, it sounds like he is doing the drafting. There is nothing outside the scope of the drawings. The change orders would be the builder/electrical contractor's problem. I have yet to see a print go to build before it was signed by the customer and stamped by the city/village.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
It sounds to me like he is the drafter. Which means, he is providing them.

Again, it sounds like he is doing the drafting. There is nothing outside the scope of the drawings. The change orders would be the builder/electrical contractor's problem. I have yet to see a print go to build before it was signed by the customer and stamped by the city/village.

The devils in the details there Mshow

For instance ,all some localities require is a stamped set of prints

i.e.- state review and approval.

The Archy can be dismissed well before the project gets started

Then the real fun starts, because the remaining players have no choice but to design/build on the fly....

~CS~

·
332 Posts
I like to see items that require dedicated circuits, interior and exterior lighting layouts, exterior receptacles, main panel(s) location and size, location of sub panel to be added, anything requiring excavation, and low voltage. In my opinion, spending time trying to layout general receptacle locations would be a waste of your time, as would switch locations, unless the homeowner has specified some crazy switching schemes, or wants 10 receptacles per bedroom. I would let the homeowner decide how detailed the drawing needs to be, and if they have an electrician they trust, and are no doubt going to use, then I would keep them simple. Just my opinion though.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
They've gotta have a clue TK

I don't now how many 'how much to wire my house' sorts i've fielded that forward zero info to me :no:

I've created a menu in the past, but that sometimes confuses them, too many choices :rolleyes:

What i have done, with some success , is to bid 'code minimum' back to the clueless , and then played all the indecision into my back pocket :thumbsup:

I've been at this so long, and i'm tired of the repetitive explanations of the butt ugly obvious , so now i prey on the stupidity of others instead of trying to 'fix' their :censored: stupidity

That includes all their grandious HD ideas! :whistling2:

I'm a really bad man!

~CS~

·
332 Posts
T&K said:
I like to see items that require dedicated circuits, interior and exterior lighting layouts, exterior receptacles, main panel(s) location and size, location of sub panel to be added, anything requiring excavation, and low voltage. .
Don't take this as rude, but I consider these items a pretty good clue to the job.

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
The devils in the details there Mshow

For instance ,all some localities require is a stamped set of prints

i.e.- state review and approval.

The Archy can be dismissed well before the project gets started

Then the real fun starts, because the remaining players have no choice but to design/build on the fly....

~CS~
The "design/build" aspect you're talking about is absolutely true.
However,
I can see the amount of detail (or the lack thereof) I have to put on the plans. Also any input on what you guys as contractors would like to see or not see for that matter as well, on the plans.
He is not the builder, he is the designer/drafter asking how detailed he should design his plans.

So...
The devils in the details there CS

·
Estwing magic
27,537 Posts
Okay, I get it now. Remodels can be run of the mill in terms of receptacle locations but switch and fixture locations must be definite and I need appliance specs and cabinet drawings. If there are no appliance specs then the designer needs to indicate circuit amps. Some refrigerators require the receptacle to be in a specific spot. Kitchens have to be very exact or they turn into time burners during finishing.

Any lighting I supply needs to be specified. That includes trims, lamps and under cabinet lighting. Device type and color needs to specified. If the customer supplies decorative lighting, I need to know what it looks like. I once did a renovation job and the daughter's bedroom fixture turned out to have over 200 crystal teardrops. Hanging that thing became the subject of "negotiation".

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
Okay, I get it now. Remodels can be run of the mill in terms of receptacle locations but switch and fixture locations must be definite and I need appliance specs and cabinet drawings. If there are no appliance specs then the designer needs to indicate circuit amps. Some refrigerators require the receptacle to be in a specific spot. Kitchens have to be very exact or they turn into time burners during finishing.

Any lighting I supply needs to be specified. That includes trims, lamps and under cabinet lighting. Device type and color needs to specified. If the customer supplies decorative lighting, I need to know what it looks like. I once did a renovation job and the daughter's bedroom fixture turned out to have over 200 crystal teardrops. Hanging that thing became the subject of "negotiation".

"Oh by the way, I've got this awesome crystal chandelier for my daughter's room. It's easy and a small one." ~signed F.U.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.