Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there.

I have a theatre company in Boston, Science Fiction Theatre Company. For our upcoming show I am trying to build a "Star Curtain". That is, a large piece of sheer black fabric is hung along a wall. Behind it will be LED strips. That's the basic setup.

What I would love to be able to do is to have the "stars" fade out during the show. In the script, the universe is decaying. To represent this with dimming LEDs (not all dimming at the same rate) and some going out. Until there are only a few LEDs left, and dim at that. This is my pie in the sky dream for the show.

I could use any and all help available, and thought I would give the Raspberry Pi a shot, but I am out of my league here and need assistance. If you have any suggestions or anything, I would love to hear them. We are a very Fringe theatre company, but if there is anything we could do in return (free tickets or an ad in the the program?) we'd be more than happy.

Thank you all so much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for the suggestions so far

Thank you all for the suggestions so far.

Edrick - Hey there. We work out of the Factory Theatre in the southern end of Boston. Not South Boston. Here is the theatre's website, though the owner is in the middle of rebuilding the website (it's rather old)

Our theatre company website is:

sftcboston.com

This show is the first of our 3rd season. I would love if you would like to help out, but I took a look at your website, and it looks like you're a pretty professional fellah there. Not that we are not a professional theatre company, but rather a fringe theatre company with a tiny budget. I don't know if we would be able to compensate you for your time in a manner that you are accustomed to. But please feel free to contact me if you would like at:

electricmalone - You must have worked up around here before!

LARMGUY - thank you for the suggestion. I was looking at such options. This one looks like it would not be able to compete with the stage lights. I looked at laser star projectors as well, but they tend to be $$ and the ones that are affordable have reviews of dim light, and many only come in red or green. More like clubbing gear.

Well, thank you guys. If you have any other ideas, please keep 'em coming! We can use all the help, and Sci Fi theatre is awesome!

·
Kind of a big deal here
924 Posts
enigma2118 said:
Thank you all for the suggestions so far.

Edrick - Hey there. We work out of the Factory Theatre in the southern end of Boston. Not South Boston. Here is the theatre's website, though the owner is in the middle of rebuilding the website (it's rather old)

Our theatre company website is:

sftcboston.com

This show is the first of our 3rd season. I would love if you would like to help out, but I took a look at your website, and it looks like you're a pretty professional fellah there. Not that we are not a professional theatre company, but rather a fringe theatre company with a tiny budget. I don't know if we would be able to compensate you for your time in a manner that you are accustomed to. But please feel free to contact me if you would like at:

electricmalone - You must have worked up around here before!

LARMGUY - thank you for the suggestion. I was looking at such options. This one looks like it would not be able to compete with the stage lights. I looked at laser star projectors as well, but they tend to be $$ and the ones that are affordable have reviews of dim light, and many only come in red or green. More like clubbing gear.

Well, thank you guys. If you have any other ideas, please keep 'em coming! We can use all the help, and Sci Fi theatre is awesome!
Yup, the two most creative spots I've ever been to... The South End (not to be confused with Southie) and Cambridge. I worked in Boston for 2&1/2years, now I'm happily on Cape Cod, Woods Hole, mostly, another very creative friendly area.
Have you tried hitting up MIT engineering students that need a project? Or Wentworth, or any of the dozens of engineering schools within a T stop or two?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.