Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm a novice when it comes to electricity and that is why I joined this message board. I would like to learn more about it and how it works! ATM I am working for a Traffic Signal / Street lighting company and I would like to move up in the ranks and become a Electrician. Anybody here a Traffic Signal Tech that can give some advice to a noobie!?

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Hi all,

I'm a novice when it comes to electricity and that is why I joined this message board. I would like to learn more about it and how it works! ATM I am working for a Traffic Signal / Street lighting company and I would like to move up in the ranks and become a Electrician. Anybody here a Traffic Signal Tech that can give some advice to a noobie!?
Welcome aboard:thumbsup:

That sounds like a good electrical job you have there, lot's of control work.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I do work on traffic lights for our county. Our company is the only one who does this. Get used to being up in the bucket truck, cars weaving in and out of the cones you have set up, and the Cop who's supposed to be directing traffic getting called out to something "more important". We do alot fo crane work from snow-plow damaged poles, but the DOT programs the PLCs to their times and delays based on the specific location of the intersection.

We have made the move to camera-based vehicle detection from the in-ground loops. As the frost would render a loop useless in a couple of years. The cameras have their own set of issues, but overall more reliable.

I'm going to put a loop in my driveway to let me know when the in-laws show up!

TWN

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
...We have made the move to camera-based vehicle detection from the in-ground loops....
I did not know that. Are the cameras specific to the controllers or are they also for remote traffic monitoring and security?

I wondered why I've been seeing so many intersection cameras.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
I did not know that. Are the cameras specific to the controllers or are they also for remote traffic monitoring and security?

I wondered why I've been seeing so many intersection cameras.
The cameras are specific to the controller they serve. They're not good enough to pick up faces or license plates and don't record. In essence, they're glorified motion detectors.

Reactions: Big John

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I do work on traffic lights for our county. Our company is the only one who does this. Get used to being up in the bucket truck, cars weaving in and out of the cones you have set up, and the Cop who's supposed to be directing traffic getting called out to something "more important".

TWN
God i hated that gig 25 yrs ago, up in the middle of an intersection with screaming soccer moms on every side of me......felt like Custers last stand!:(

~CS~

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
God i hated that gig 25 yrs ago, up in the middle of an intersection with screaming soccer moms on every side of me......felt like Custers last stand!:(

~CS~
More amazing are the sheer number of people who have absolutely no idea what to do at a blinking amber or blinking red signal... :blink::eek:

Reactions: TheWireNut

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
More amazing are the sheer number of people who have absolutely no idea what to do at a blinking amber or blinking red signal... :blink::eek:
I always like the folks who get confused at stop signs. Or try to be "courteous" by repeatedly waving other lanes through when it's not their turn.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The cameras they use here are good enough to get a plate number.......sometimes. They are networked back to a DVR (essentially) at the local police station. All of the cabinets already had a land line. They use them more for collision recall, no ticket issuing for red light runners to date.

I am far from making my living on traffic lights, it's maybe 10% of the work we do in our company of 4, and we cover a whole county.

TWN

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.