Electrician Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm a pretty green journeyman, union taught but parted ways and working non-union right now. i work for a small one man shop in ballard but i just went all this last week with no work. emailling and faxing resumes this week but haven't even gotten a nibble. over the last month and a half i've put out 17 resumes and only one bite. is this consistent with what everybody else is experiencing? i'm realizing its very difficult having to sell myself now that i'm non-union. i even went out and bought a service van and equipped it with tools like a knock-out set, roto-hammer, porta-ban, fish tape, saws-all, drill, 1/2" and 3/4" emt benders. everything we would need to to perform 90% of the residential and commercial projects out there. i'm planning on taking my administrators exam just to give myself one more way to sell myself. am i doing all i can? i didn't expect it to be this hard. i look forward to your response.

brian

·
Super Moderator
21,924 Posts
Welcome Brian. Unfortunately you are starting a business at a time where our economy is not doing well. Starting a business now is very difficult simply because there isn't much work out there and the work that is there is taken by those who have been around for a while. They are a known entity and you are not. Good luck- I hope things change for everybody's sake.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
i'm a pretty green journeyman, union taught but parted ways and working non-union right now. i work for a small one man shop in ballard but i just went all this last week with no work. emailling and faxing resumes this week but haven't even gotten a nibble. over the last month and a half i've put out 17 resumes and only one bite. is this consistent with what everybody else is experiencing? i'm realizing its very difficult having to sell myself now that i'm non-union. i even went out and bought a service van and equipped it with tools like a knock-out set, roto-hammer, porta-ban, fish tape, saws-all, drill, 1/2" and 3/4" emt benders. everything we would need to to perform 90% of the residential and commercial projects out there. i'm planning on taking my administrators exam just to give myself one more way to sell myself. am i doing all i can? i didn't expect it to be this hard. i look forward to your response.

brian
Welcome to the forum...:thumbup:

Everything is hard with this type of economy and running your own business is never easy...But when the economy picks up you should do well..:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I may have given the wrong impression, I'm not a Contractor, I'm an electrician just trying to get a job with a contractor.

Brian

·
Registered
21 Posts

brian
With all of that equipment and a service van you should consider working for yourself. Well. anyway. Welcome to the forum and good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts