Electrician Talk banner

Hey Massholes...

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  electricmanscott 
#1 ·
Especially Worcester guys..

There's a rumor out there that the city is requiring a Uffer grounding system on all new construction and jobs are being failed if there isn't one. It's pretty rare in my experience that rebar is used in footings, resi construction, which usually means just using two rods, waterpipe if metallic, or in some cases well casing electrode for GE system.

Just curious if anyone here has either failed for this or been "required" to install a uffer in the City Of Worcester. I haven't personally experienced this but it's the hot topic at the supply house. So hot that I contacted the state for confirmation on what I already knew. Municipalities are NOT allowed to make their own code rules. They have to abide by the state code which in this state is the NEC with state amendments.

Anyone?

#6 ·
IMO, you all are slackers for not taken advantage of it whether required or not. :laughing:

Seriously, I wish my state would enforce it as I am one of the few who does take advantage of it.

I have mentioned that I did a test site with 2 rods and had 89 ohms but my ufer on the same site had 13 ohms-- measured with a earth to ground 3 point tester

#7 ·
I can't say what is happening in single family home construction but I can tell you that most if not all of the projects we do get a Uffer.

This is the last official word I have from the state, if anyone has something newer I would be glad to see it.

#9 ·
The work you do Bob usually has a "qualifying" cee so you have to use it. I don't recall ever seeing rebar or a qualifying cee in my work. IF i was hired prior to a footing pour I, in most cases, will make a cee. That said, there is no requirement for a cee other than if it exists, you have to use it. A municipality can not demand that all new construction shall have one.

Btw, I was at a code seminar a couple of months ago at the MECA tradeshow. I'll just say old Bill L lost a little off the old fastball. :whistling2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.