Electrician Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Sunny San Diego, California. It was 68 degrees today, damn it was cold.

Currently I have a BS degree in Electrical Engineering. But I am really considering becoming an Electrician. Mainly because I love working with my hands, and doing all that Engineering stuff hurts my brain.
I am in need of advice...
I work full time at a job that makes pretty good money.
What is the best/fastest/most painless way I can become a licensed electrician (in California) without going through an apprenticeship program.

Like I said earlier, I really think I am capable of the work. I believe I have a good amount of the theory in my head. It is just that being a sparkie might be a better fit for me.

Thanks,
-gradys

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Hello from Sunny San Diego, California. It was 68 degrees today, damn it was cold.

Currently I have a BS degree in Electrical Engineering. But I am really considering becoming an Electrician. Mainly because I love working with my hands, and doing all that Engineering stuff hurts my brain.
I am in need of advice...
I work full time at a job that makes pretty good money.
What is the best/fastest/most painless way I can become a licensed electrician (in California) without going through an apprenticeship program.

Like I said earlier, I really think I am capable of the work. I believe I have a good amount of the theory in my head. It is just that being a sparkie might be a better fit for me.

Thanks,
-gradys
Look up your state's requirements for obtaining an electrician's license. Like so many others in the "I gotta have it now" generation, you seem to want it all, now, without enduring the mundane formality of actual training and field experience.

You may think your book knowledge is enough, but tou only have to read the questions from, and actually interract with some engineers to understand how clueless they really are in the 3-dimensional world.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Welcome I hope you gain information and have fun

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
94 Posts
With an EE the door is wide open. Most likely you will have to go a 4 year apprentice program. Residential, Commercial and Industrial are all different animals.

Have you thought about a Field Service Engineer position?

I think it depends on what you want to do.

Nothing like tamping a ditch when it's 110 out :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With an EE the door is wide open. Most likely you will have to go a 4 year apprentice program. Residential, Commercial and Industrial are all different animals.

Have you thought about a Field Service Engineer position?

I think it depends on what you want to do.

Nothing like tamping a ditch when it's 110 out :)
Thanks Mach,
I will look in the Field Service Engineer Position.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Check out this site www.roadtechs.com www.indeed.com is another one. Roadtechs is for travelers like myself. I work E&I. The road sucks but I can work 4 months and make more than I would working 12 months full time. I know some engineers making around $65/hr I even hear of $80/hr then when you work 72-84 hours a week plus a PD that is some serous cash. I know nuclear is picking up. Lots of up grades being done to plants. Hey and just think once that contract is up you can go on unemployment :)

Good luck

Ken

1 - 8 of 8 Posts