Electrician Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me introduce myself. My name is Theo. I currently reside in Texas. I have a few questions for the Commercial Electricians here. I've been looking into electrical work for a few years now. I have an I.B.E.W. union school down the street from where I live. Just want to get a few questions out of the way before I go any further. How long does Commercial training typically last? Is joining a workers union worth it? What is the average income for a Commercial Electrician? Is it a hard field to go into? What are the Pro's and Con's for the job? I'm looking to move to a bigger city (like Chicago) once the training is complete. Would I have to get re-licensed all over again before I can work there? Or can I transfer over once I get licensed over here? How hard would the transition be? Sorry for all the questions. Liking the forum so far :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Welcome!

:thumbsup: I have a few questions for the Commercial Electricians here. I've been looking into electrical work for a few years now.

"How long does Commercial training typically last?"

(commercial electrical,industrial)
This can last an entire carreer, how ever in a year or two, you'll have a real good grasp of it.

"Is joining a workers union worth it? "

Wow, so new and starting this already?;)
Depends, I won't comment. The carreer is the goal.

"What is the average income for a Commercial Electrician? "

This aswell depends. Qualafications, work ethic,area. This varys' greatly.
Here in the north East, Not to shaby. It's a great carreer and I've never gone hungry or been out of work.

" Is it a hard field to go into?"

No, show some desire and interest, be willing to work for peanuts (or less) for a short time. Then show some promise and things can turn around rapidly.

"What are the Pro's and Con's for the job?"

Wow, Now theres a good Question.Check this out, some good answers.
http://www.electriciantalk.com/showthread.php?t=1930

"I'm looking to move to a bigger city (like Chicago) once the training is complete. Would I have to get re-licensed all over again before I can work there? Or can I transfer over once I get licensed over here? How hard would the transition be? "

I don't know all the recip laws for Texas, But most likely yes, re-test at a minimum. Every area is different and the geography has nothing to do with it. EX: Mass will recip. with several States, But all are on the most current code. Say a State is still on the 2002, MA will Not recip.. More technical than that but thats short and sweet.

" Sorry for all the questions."

Well, Don't be!! Ask away! We all have and still do!!
When that changes, it only means you don't care. Hang it up at that point!

·
Registered
54 Posts
You might want to consider moving first then joining the union where you plan on staying and getting your training there. If you join before you move you'll have to sign book 2 as a traveler in chicago and your wait time for getting a job will go up considerably. Also, getting your training where you plan on working will most likely be beneficial.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:thumbsup: I have a few questions for the Commercial Electricians here. I've been looking into electrical work for a few years now.

"How long does Commercial training typically last?"

(commercial electrical,industrial)
This can last an entire carreer, how ever in a year or two, you'll have a real good grasp of it.

"Is joining a workers union worth it? "

Wow, so new and starting this already?;)
Depends, I won't comment. The carreer is the goal.

"What is the average income for a Commercial Electrician? "

This aswell depends. Qualafications, work ethic,area. This varys' greatly.
Here in the north East, Not to shaby. It's a great carreer and I've never gone hungry or been out of work.

" Is it a hard field to go into?"

No, show some desire and interest, be willing to work for peanuts (or less) for a short time. Then show some promise and things can turn around rapidly.

"What are the Pro's and Con's for the job?"

Wow, Now theres a good Question.Check this out, some good answers.
http://www.electriciantalk.com/showthread.php?t=1930

"I'm looking to move to a bigger city (like Chicago) once the training is complete. Would I have to get re-licensed all over again before I can work there? Or can I transfer over once I get licensed over here? How hard would the transition be? "

I don't know all the recip laws for Texas, But most likely yes, re-test at a minimum. Every area is different and the geography has nothing to do with it. EX: Mass will recip. with several States, But all are on the most current code. Say a State is still on the 2002, MA will Not recip.. More technical than that but thats short and sweet.

" Sorry for all the questions."

Well, Don't be!! Ask away! We all have and still do!!
When that changes, it only means you don't care. Hang it up at that point!
Thanks bro! Appreciate it all. How long have you been doing Commercial work? What's your yearly income, if that's not too personal? :D

Greetings and welcome!
Thanks!

You might want to consider moving first then joining the union where you plan on staying and getting your training there. If you join before you move you'll have to sign book 2 as a traveler in chicago and your wait time for getting a job will go up considerably. Also, getting your training where you plan on working will most likely be beneficial.
I really wish I could do that. My circumstances are really rough though. Would it be real hard to transfer over? Offtopic but, how's Chicago right now? :) I'm dying to visit up there. Everyone say's it's an awesome city.

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
Let me introduce myself. My name is Theo. I currently reside in Texas. I have a few questions for the Commercial Electricians here. I've been looking into electrical work for a few years now. I have an I.B.E.W. union school down the street from where I live. Just want to get a few questions out of the way before I go any further. How long does Commercial training typically last? Is joining a workers union worth it? What is the average income for a Commercial Electrician? Is it a hard field to go into? What are the Pro's and Con's for the job? I'm looking to move to a bigger city (like Chicago) once the training is complete. Would I have to get re-licensed all over again before I can work there? Or can I transfer over once I get licensed over here? How hard would the transition be? Sorry for all the questions. Liking the forum so far :thumbsup:

Commerical guys (Union) in my area get @$45.00 per/hr and a good benefits package. IMO, going through IBEW apprenticeship is the best way to go.

www.ibew.org

http://eibew.org/Cool_IBEW_Sites.html

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
Oi! :eek: Nice little paycheck. I have an I.B.E.W. school down from where I live too.

I hear they are really hurting for guys in Wyoming, don't know if you'dwant to go that way but, it could be a great place to start.

Local Union 322, Casper, Wyoming

Job Hotline 1-800-953-1170

Local Union #322, IBEW Casper, Wyoming

We have calls still going unfilled. Please call the recorder to here the calls going unfilled as there are many.All help is needed!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hear they are really hurting for guys in Wyoming, don't know if you'dwant to go that way but, it could be a great place to start.

Local Union 322, Casper, Wyoming

Job Hotline 1-800-953-1170

Local Union #322, IBEW Casper, Wyoming

We have calls still going unfilled. Please call the recorder to here the calls going unfilled as there are many.All help is needed!!
That could be another route to go.

Now I have a question about the apprenticeship training. How many days of the week do they train you? And how many hours at a time? How does the entire schedule lay out? Is it like a standard semester?

·
Senior Moment
1,120 Posts
TheoE, first off this type of work is not easy! If you are looking for something easy and does not take much effort or thinking this is not for y ou. This work takes effort and a willingness to continue to learn and expand your knowledge and skills. Schooling can be a couple of nights a week (4 hours) and the apprenticeship is 5 years. You must test and prove at the end that you qualify as a journeyman. If you decide to go the union route you will need to find out if the local is accepting apprentices, test, interview and qualify to be considered for the program. You will work and attend school, the pay is a sliding scale based on your locals journeyman wage/benefit package.

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
Welcome! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TheoE, first off this type of work is not easy! If you are looking for something easy and does not take much effort or thinking this is not for y ou. This work takes effort and a willingness to continue to learn and expand your knowledge and skills. Schooling can be a couple of nights a week (4 hours) and the apprenticeship is 5 years. You must test and prove at the end that you qualify as a journeyman. If you decide to go the union route you will need to find out if the local is accepting apprentices, test, interview and qualify to be considered for the program. You will work and attend school, the pay is a sliding scale based on your locals journeyman wage/benefit package.
Thanks. I'm not looking for an easy job though. I've always liked harder jobs.

Idaho Abe said:
I hope you find what you need.;)
Thanks!

JohnJ0906 said:
Welcome! :thumbsup:
Thanks!

Now I really need to get this question going. How hard would it be to transfer to another state once my training is complete? I read into a little about signing "book 2" but didn't really understand it. There's alot of stuff with unions I don't understand. But I really want to move out of state once this is done. I wish I could move to the area I want to live in and train there, but I can't.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Now I really need to get this question going. How hard would it be to transfer to another state once my training is complete? I read into a little about signing "book 2" but didn't really understand it. There's alot of stuff with unions I don't understand. But I really want to move out of state once this is done. I wish I could move to the area I want to live in and train there, but I can't.
How hard would it be? Well, once you move, you'd have to sign book 2 and wait for a job. You'll only get a job once book 1 (the local journeymen) is clear. So there needs to be 100% employment. Once you're working, you'll need a minimum of 18 months of employment. And a sponser.

Now, once employed, you will most likely be the first let go when a layoff is eminent. So it could take you years to get 18 months of work under you belt. Or, you could be the best thing since sliced bread and never see a layoff for your entire career...

Being a local union memebr is not like working for a nationwide corporation where transfers are common. IBEW local X has nothing to do with IBEW local Z from a business standpoint. Remember even though you'd be an IBEW electrician, you'r a contractor's employee. And the member contractors of the local that trains you paid for that training.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How hard would it be? Well, once you move, you'd have to sign book 2 and wait for a job. You'll only get a job once book 1 (the local journeymen) is clear. So there needs to be 100% employment. Once you're working, you'll need a minimum of 18 months of employment. And a sponser.

Now, once employed, you will most likely be the first let go when a layoff is eminent. So it could take you years to get 18 months of work under you belt. Or, you could be the best thing since sliced bread and never see a layoff for your entire career...

Being a local union memebr is not like working for a nationwide corporation where transfers are common. IBEW local X has nothing to do with IBEW local Z from a business standpoint. Remember even though you'd be an IBEW electrician, you'r a contractor's employee. And the member contractors of the local that trains you paid for that training.
Man I cannot tell you how much that sucks. So it's really a gamble if you move. May have to rethink this. Thanks bro.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts