Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 30 years old and working a pretty low paying job right now. I'm looking to learn a skill and make decent living. Currently I repair irons and steam cleaners for a steam company. This was a job that I kind of happened to get into. I was originally a temp worker that soldered wires and after my work was done they offered my a fulltime position. Overtime, they trained me on how to repair their products. I don't have any qualifications or certificates other then a high school diploma.

Right now I have an admission from George Brown college for a electrical techniques course. My plan was to take the course and then try to get an apprenticeship. I spoke with one of my co-workers who is a certified electrician and he told me it would be a waste. He said it would be very unlikely that I would be able to find an apprenticeship because I'm 30.

Anybody have some opinions on this? I'm sort of thinking about maybe not doing the electrical techniques course from George Brown and taking a 3 year Electronics Engineering Technology (Co-op) course from centennial college.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I'm 30 years old and working a pretty low paying job right now. I'm looking to learn a skill and make decent living. Currently I repair irons and steam cleaners for a steam company. This was a job that I kind of happened to get into. I was originally a temp worker that soldered wires and after my work was done they offered my a fulltime position. Overtime, they trained me on how to repair their products. I don't have any qualifications or certificates other then a high school diploma.

Right now I have an admission from George Brown college for a electrical techniques course. My plan was to take the course and then try to get an apprenticeship. I spoke with one of my co-workers who is a certified electrician and he told me it would be a waste. He said it would be very unlikely that I would be able to find an apprenticeship because I'm 30.

Anybody have some opinions on this? I'm sort of thinking about maybe not doing the electrical techniques course from George Brown and taking a 3 year Electronics Engineering Technology (Co-op) course from centennial college.

Welcome aboard..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
53 Posts

Welcome to the forum, its never to late to start! If you are looking to get a apprenticeship, the most important aspect a employer would look for is experience in the field/desire to learn. I think that the course at the college would not be as useful. Find a company that is looking for help, even if you are just a helper and they will not put you through a apprenticeship it is good experience to start with, then find a company that will put you through the apprenticeship program. A electronics class would be more useful for a small electronics company, not a electrical contractor.
Good luck friend! Feel free to PM me if you have anymore questions/concerns!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I'm 35 and posted a similar post a few days ago. From what I found out and by speaking to some electricians I was told find an employer to take you on as pre-apprentice/apprentice. If I was 18 I'd go to school, at this point I say go look for work. Good luck.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
I started my electrical apprenticeship at 30.. it was hard (physical) work, but I don't regret it. I think I would do it again.. although I'd prefer to do it again with a younger body.

Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
14 Posts

Your co-worker is right, in a sense. It would be a "waste" to do that program at George Brown, because you could land an apprenticeship tomorrow if you're lucky enough. Sure, you'll learn a lot taking that course, but it won't up your odds by that much. I'd pound the pavement with resumes first, just be ready to take orders from guys much younger than you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When you say physically challenging. What can you compare it too? I've laid hardwood flooring or is it back breaking like roofing and carrying 50 pounds on your back up a ladder (also not trying to fall 20 feet).

All the electricians I spoke to say there is some physical aspect but it's not like your a framer or roofer.
I'm just curious what physical means? I'm 6'2 an 185 ok shape playing hockey a couple times a week.

What can I expect? I may have an opportunity to join new build residential or commercial.

Appreciate the advise!

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
It really varies by the type of electrical work and by the company that does it.

I worked for companies where you wore your tool belt loaded with all the tools you might need all day long, while carrying rolls of BX and a 12ft ladder at the same time. And yes, climbing up and down ladders all day, working in awkward positions. Neck killing, arm numbing, back breaking, feet throbbing type work.

You could get lucky and have it easier, and you could be more physically fit. It would just be easier to do that tough apprentice work at 20 than 30, but it'll be easier doing it at 30 than 40!

·
Pool Shark
472 Posts
Age isn't a key factor in our business. We look for guys who are eager to learn. Those who know it all are the ones who can keep on knowing it all on their own time, regardless of age.:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good to know. I'm just looking to learn and provide for my 4 month old son. I'll do what I'm told, if I'm asked to go get coffee all I will say is "do you want milk or cream"

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for replies guys. Hey Kmg, nice to know that there's somebody out there in a similar situation as me. I'm feeling a little more confident about the electrician route. Though I'm still a little torn between that and doing the 3 year co-op course and pursuing a career in the general electronics sector.

·
Registered
8 Posts
PererT I hear you buddy. I have a mortgage and was laid off a week ago so I'm terrified but I'm sick of working for the man and having some accountant who doesn't even know me take bread off my table. The end game for me is to one day own my company, since I've been in sales my whole life I figured why not have the best of both worlds.

Good Luck!

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
I just started my own company and it's a shít-ton of work... and I love it.

There's a big difference in being an electrician and being a small business owner.. and even bigger difference trying to be a small business electrician!

You gotta start somewhere, so start pounding the pavement and hounding people to no end, until your opportunity comes to get a foot in the door. It's not easy to start out, but once you're started, it's a bit easier. At least in BC, there's a good demand for 2nd-3rd year apprentices, because they know enough to work on their own, and are cheaper than a journeyman.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I started an apprenticeship in Hawaii about a year and a half ago, at age 29. Long story short, I like it way better than all the sales jobs I worked from 20-29, it is hard work like the guys above stated, and also very rewarding. Good luck, wish you the best, and PM me if you want more details.

Aloha

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
It's the end of the day, I'm sore and tired and actually looking forward to do more work tomorrow. It's kind of weird.

Best advice I could give, once you get established and have some experience under your belt.. don't put up with any bad shít. Don't let employers take advantage of you for pay or benefits or anything, and make sure you like your crew.. if you're not happy, start looking for a new job and switch when the opportunity comes.

Working for douchebags (and there's quite a few out there) will just make you want to go back to your old career. When you find a company that treats you well and you enjoy it, give them your life... have a good attitude, be eager to work and work hard while on the clock and become part of that family.

·
Registered
ICI
27 Posts
I don't know why your co-worker electrician would say that 30 years is too old. Many people in my class (Local 353 intake) were late 20's to low 30's. Good luck finding a new job soon. Even if you do find something in the meantime, apply for the union during the intake in May or June. You should have a steady job for the next 6 years with the union and the benefits are top notch too! Very few apprentices get laid off because we are cheap! The joke is, once you become JW, you'll get laid off. :p

·
Registered
25 Posts
Walk into all the electrical companies around your area and talk to the owner face to face, i think that would be your best chance. DO NOT take any electrical college course, its a waste of money. I'm currently in college for electrical. i got hired as a 1st year apprentice couple weeks ago and the company owner told me that everything that i learn in college is a waste and he will be teaching me everything from scratch.

·
Registered
714 Posts

Take a fire alarm course, it would make you more employable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your age and experience may help for some employers will like the fact you ate more mature than am 18 year old kid

Sent from my iPhone using electriciantalk.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't know why your co-worker electrician would say that 30 years is too old. Many people in my class (Local 353 intake) were late 20's to low 30's. Good luck finding a new job soon. Even if you do find something in the meantime, apply for the union during the intake in May or June. You should have a steady job for the next 6 years with the union and the benefits are top notch too! Very few apprentices get laid off because we are cheap! The joke is, once you become JW, you'll get laid off. :p
I'll be applying to local 353 when they do intake in a month or so. Could I PM you and pick your brain about a couple of things before I apply? :notworthy:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.