Electrician Talk banner

Hi all, starting out in Philadelphia, PA

1320 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  AbbottShea
Hello!

My name's Abbott and I'm just getting into the field. I have a few questions and I'm hoping you all can help me out.

A little about me and what I'm trying to do:
* Been in Internet Marketing for about 2 years, did relatively well, but realized doing it full-time is not for me.
* Really want to move into Electrical Contract work and get back into hands on work, but only have experience in construction work (6 years, at Maryland Materials) before college, and I have now been graduated for 2 years.
* Have a degree in Business Admin, concentration in Marketing.

I don't know how to best move into the industry, but confident that once I get the gameplan I'll find a way to make it work. From what I've gathered I think what I'd like to do is get an apprenticeship with a private contractor and take classes at night at the same time - the union route seems like it may take a bit longer and have less flexibility than I'd like. Does this sound right / is it realistic?

I'd like to take classes at a state university or community college - technical schools sound like they can be more expensive than necessary and I'd like to give myself a good platform for becoming an electrical engineer in case it turns out to be something I want to move into if I'm interested. Again, haha, is this smart / realistic? If so, what should I be looking for in a cc or university for classes?

I could be totally off the mark here, so please let me know if I am. I've only been able to consult with family and friends about it, and all of their opinions ideas come second-hand.

Many thanks for any help, looking forward to being part of the forum and helping some people out myself one day!

All the best,
Abbott
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Member IBEW LU #164
2,962 Posts
Welcome to the trade and to the site.

Formal schooling for the trade usually is not very helpful. Being an electrician is very hands on and the vast majority of what you will learn will be in the field or in an apprenticeship program.

There are many routes you can take, as a union electrician I recommend contacting your local IBEW hall and seeing what your options are, however you can also find work with any of the fine non union shops that work in the philly area. To find those, ask around at your local supply houses, look for want ads etc.

Long term, outside of owning your own business, the wages and benefits earned as a union electrician are greater than non union. With your business degrees, you might want to consider owning your own business at some point, in which case non union might be best for you.

Ask questions, read a bunch and try to find some local electricians you can sit and chat with.

Best of luck.

· RIP 1959-2015
39,532 Posts
Hello!

My name's Abbott and I'm just getting into the field. I have a few questions and I'm hoping you all can help me out.

A little about me and what I'm trying to do:
* Been in Internet Marketing for about 2 years, did relatively well, but realized doing it full-time is not for me.
* Really want to move into Electrical Contract work and get back into hands on work, but only have experience in construction work (6 years, at Maryland Materials) before college, and I have now been graduated for 2 years.
* Have a degree in Business Admin, concentration in Marketing.

I don't know how to best move into the industry, but confident that once I get the gameplan I'll find a way to make it work. From what I've gathered I think what I'd like to do is get an apprenticeship with a private contractor and take classes at night at the same time - the union route seems like it may take a bit longer and have less flexibility than I'd like. Does this sound right / is it realistic?

I'd like to take classes at a state university or community college - technical schools sound like they can be more expensive than necessary and I'd like to give myself a good platform for becoming an electrical engineer in case it turns out to be something I want to move into if I'm interested. Again, haha, is this smart / realistic? If so, what should I be looking for in a cc or university for classes?

I could be totally off the mark here, so please let me know if I am. I've only been able to consult with family and friends about it, and all of their opinions ideas come second-hand.

Many thanks for any help, looking forward to being part of the forum and helping some people out myself one day!

All the best,
Abbott
Welcome to the forum and good luck...:thumbup:

· Registered
297 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum and trade!

Prepare for lots of hard work if you are new to the trade- as a new apprentice you will be called upon to do some of the grunt labor and also you will find yourself learning a lot- so pay attention :p

Also, having some materials experience is really good, hopefully you know about the different electrical fittings and materials- that will be a huge help to you.

Good luck!

Also, I am going through the IBEW apprenticeship. The training you receive is great, although most of construction is a bit slow right now so it could take some time to get into an apprenticeship. Talk to people, those both in the union and not, and make a decision based on what you want. There are a lot of pros to going union.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@FireInTheWire, I will be sure to keep my eyes and ears up. I think I'm going to just do a bit of initial research on the different electrical fittings, because I unfortunately know nothing on that stuff right now. Hopefully it will show prospective employers that I am serious about this.

Appreciate all the thoughts!

Abbott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.