Electrician Talk banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Never Used Scotchkote
2,811 Posts
Super cool on the update!

So many people post and we never hear from them again. I of course assume its alien abduction and they are hanging out with Elvis.
be careful what you say, I hear you may be next...:jester::thumbsup:

·
Term 2 Apprentice
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks guys!

I enjoy the forum and I expect I'll be picking up tips and info as I continue in my apprenticeship.

I've gotten a few private messages asking for advice about school. I hope the updates will show my progress.

·
Term 2 Apprentice
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I started my ten weeks of paid work experience on Jan 5th.

I'm really happy with the company that the IBEW assigned me. They have a great reputation and I hope they will pick me up after my work experience. They have lots of work right now and hopefully it will stay that way.

The first two days I was hanging temporary lighting and installing receptacles. I hadn't worked with BX cable before but it was easy enough. The building was phase 2 of a new private school.

On the third day, the journeyman and I were sent to an arena. I spent the day drilling holes in concrete and installing anchors for cable tray supports. I'm heading back there on Monday.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That's awesome! I may go check out the IBEW office in Edmonton if I can't score an apprenticeship non-union. Their pre-apprenticeship programs don't cost an arm and a leg do they?

·
Term 2 Apprentice
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
That's awesome! I may go check out the IBEW office in Edmonton if I can't score an apprenticeship non-union. Their pre-apprenticeship programs don't cost an arm and a leg do they?
EITI, the school in BC, costs $5100. More expensive than BCIT but BCIT has a two year wait list. You could be a term 3 apprentice by the time you get into BCIT. I don't think saving $2,000 is worth losing two years of apprenticeship.

You get guaranteed paid work experience from EITI which pays for most of your school cost.

·
Term 2 Apprentice
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I'm nearing the end of my work experience. It's been nine weeks so far.

I've done a bit of everything. Pulling BX, wiring, receptacles, data cabling, j-hooks, cable trays, and my fair share of garbage collection and hauling materials. I worked on three different sites and got to do new things at all of them.

The company I worked for was fantastic. They gave me a chance to do the work and prove that I could do it. I got along with everyone I worked with and got a lot of great tips and advice.

Unfortunately, things slowed down in February and there are a lot of apprentices on the bench. The company probably won't be able to hire me after my work experience is done and I'll have to wait a while, assuming I get into the union. I've been told things are picking up this month but time will tell.

The 12th is the last day of my work experience. I find out on the 15th if I will be allowed into the union. I've really enjoyed the work and I'm confident that it's the right career for me.

:thumbup:

·
Term 2 Apprentice
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
About time I updated this...

I sat for about a week after my work experience. The system forces the company to lay you off at the end of your work experience, regardless of how well you did.

My foreman gave me a glowing review, and the company brought me back. I was really happy to be working again so quickly.

I went back to the same site and spent 95% of my time there. I helped on a service call and spent a few days firestopping for another foreman. Last week, the job ended and I was placed on another site.

I received a "commendation" on my second review. Felt good to hear that the foreman was happy with my work. A customer also sent the company a thank you letter for the work my foreman and I did on a service call.

Things are slow generally in Vancouver right now. Lots of apprentices are sitting. I'm keeping my head down and doing the best work I can with my fingers crossed that the jobs keep coming. It's a great company to work for so I'm blessed. :thumbup:

My next raise is in two months which will make it easier to pay the bills. I'm squeeking by on my current wage. Not too worried, but it will be nice to make a bit more. I'm happy with my decision to become an electrician and I'm sticking with it.

Oh, and it's been a year since I left my old career and took the plunge! Time flys.

·
Never Used Scotchkote
2,811 Posts
Nice to hear that you are doing well! :thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I sat for about a week after my work experience. The system forces the company to lay you off at the end of your work experience, regardless of how well you did.

My foreman gave me a glowing review, and the company brought me back. I was really happy to be working again so quickly.

I went back to the same site and spent 95% of my time there. I helped on a service call and spent a few days firestopping for another foreman. Last week, the job ended and I was placed on another site.

I received a "commendation" on my second review. Felt good to hear that the foreman was happy with my work. A customer also sent the company a thank you letter for the work my foreman and I did on a service call.

Things are slow generally in Vancouver right now. Lots of apprentices are sitting. I'm keeping my head down and doing the best work I can with my fingers crossed that the jobs keep coming. It's a great company to work for so I'm blessed. :thumbup:

My next raise is in two months which will make it easier to pay the bills. I'm squeeking by on my current wage. Not too worried, but it will be nice to make a bit more. I'm happy with my decision to become an electrician and I'm sticking with it.

Oh, and it's been a year since I left my old career and took the plunge! Time flys.
Hi Ryan, I've read your post and it sounds like you're doing great with your career. I've posted a topic which i'll put the link down at the bottom here.

Basically I'm wondering if you might be able to give me a little info regarding the union side of being an apprentice. Are you getting steady work? and do you have any suggestions and advice for someone who doesn't have any experience. Any info will be appreciated and thanks in advance!

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f2/newbie-vancouver-bc-needs-info-regarding-apprenticeship-18227/

·
Term 2 Apprentice
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I replied to your thread Biggie. Hope it helps.

Update:
Still working steadily. I did have to sit for a few days in October when work was slow. The foreman on my current project gave me a very good review and the general foreman has said that I am working out great. Almost a year at the same company and I hope the work keeps coming in so I can stay. I am still very happy with my job and the trade.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts

Update:
Still working steadily. I did have to sit for a few days in October when work was slow. The foreman on my current project gave me a very good review and the general foreman has said that I am working out great. Almost a year at the same company and I hope the work keeps coming in so I can stay. I am still very happy with my job and the trade.

I wish you Good Luck:thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Ryan,

thanks alot for the info, you've definitely given me alot of valid points regarding the union.

Out of curiosity when you say there is a shorter waitlist for the EJTC, was there a waitlist when you applied? I was under the impression that its first come first served (provided they accept you into the program).

Right now I've completed 2 out of the 3 pre-requisites and am plugging away at the third, once thats done I'll put in the application and take it from there. Hopefully things work out because i'm sick and tired of working in dead end jobs and want to get started in the trade as soon as possible.

Thank you for the feedback and the best of luck in your career.

Biggie

·
Term 2 Apprentice
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Out of curiosity when you say there is a shorter waitlist for the EJTC, was there a waitlist when you applied? I was under the impression that its first come first served (provided they accept you into the program).
There wasn't really a waitlist, but you have to write a test and go in for an interview. They only take 16 students at a time, so if you aren't in the top 16 you don't get in. There were 23 people writing the test when I applied, so seven people didn't get in.

So you are correct, it is pretty much first come, first served.

·
Registered
737 Posts

Update:
Good to hear your enjoying the trade....Thanks for keeping us posted ..

Frank

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm finally to the interview point of this two month process, I agree it is extremely efficient and keeps you well informed.

I'm looking for suggestive ideas of questions that I will be asked by the board, I've been in the trade awhile now and am not at all worried however I know I still need to be prepared regardless of my skills, this all comes down to how well I can sell myself. When I stand in front of the board I'll become the product and their my customer I need ya'lls help to make sure I got all my information together.

·
Term 2 Apprentice
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I'm finally to the interview point of this two month process, I agree it is extremely efficient and keeps you well informed.

I'm looking for suggestive ideas of questions that I will be asked by the board, I've been in the trade awhile now and am not at all worried however I know I still need to be prepared regardless of my skills, this all comes down to how well I can sell myself. When I stand in front of the board I'll become the product and their my customer I need ya'lls help to make sure I got all my information together.
Each local is different but the questions should be about your past experience with work, especially any work using tools. Also, general questions about teamwork and how you deal with work situations.

Good luck.

·
Term 2 Apprentice
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I'm a 2nd term apprentice now. Time flies!

Everything is going well and I'm still very happy with my choice to become an electrician.

I'm going to help hook up a generator tomorrow. Should be fun!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts