Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I was hoping to get some advise from you pro's. I'm currently not in the trade but hoping to become a per-apprentice/apprentice in the next short while.

I'm 35 years old and the only experience I have with electrical is home reno's working with 14-2 wire etc. I was laid off from IBM yesterday after 10+ years. I have a 4 month old son, a wife on mat leave. I may have an opportunity to join my brother-in-law's company (he is 3rd year apprentice in commercial).
I have hated the office for years and trying to build up the courage to give up on another office job paying 60k and dealing with politics and uncertainty. I want to pursue a career in the electrical trade and build up my skills over the years. However, with a growing family and mortgage will I be able to weather the first years working at 13$-15$/h. That is something I need to consider.

I struggle with the question; "I'm I too old to start now?" on the other hand I don't want to be 45 and experience another layoff, by then it will certainly be too late.

I don't have a college degree only an AutoCad certification so reading schematics wont be completely new to me, since I use to update CAD drawings for Rogers and Telus. Like I said I have limited electrical experience but I did finish my own basement (inspected and passed by home inspector friend. Only some small fixes). I would still classify myself as per-apprentice. I'm eager to learn and grasp concepts very easily by watching once or twice.

Any honest feedback is appreciated perhaps some advice on your own experience would be helpful.

I appreciate your feedback and apologize if I have used the wrong form.

Thank you

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Hi all,

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I was hoping to get some advise from you pro's. I'm currently not in the trade but hoping to become a per-apprentice/apprentice in the next short while.

I'm 35 years old and the only experience I have with electrical is home reno's working with 14-2 wire etc. I was laid off from IBM yesterday after 10+ years. I have a 4 month old son, a wife on mat leave. I may have an opportunity to join my brother-in-law's company (he is 3rd year apprentice in commercial).
I have hated the office for years and trying to build up the courage to give up on another office job paying 60k and dealing with politics and uncertainty. I want to pursue a career in the electrical trade and build up my skills over the years. However, with a growing family and mortgage will I be able to weather the first years working at 13$-15$/h. That is something I need to consider.

I struggle with the question; "I'm I too old to start now?" on the other hand I don't want to be 45 and experience another layoff, by then it will certainly be too late.

I don't have a college degree only an AutoCad certification so reading schematics wont be completely new to me, since I use to update CAD drawings for Rogers and Telus. Like I said I have limited electrical experience but I did finish my own basement (inspected and passed by home inspector friend. Only some small fixes). I would still classify myself as per-apprentice. I'm eager to learn and grasp concepts very easily by watching once or twice.

Any honest feedback is appreciated perhaps some advice on your own experience would be helpful.

Thank you
Hello,Welcome aboard..:)

You're never too old to start new.

Yes as a helper the pay sucks,but that's the price you pay to learn the trade,Take a part time job at night and weekends to make ends meet,and in 5 years or so your hard work will pay off.

As for lay offs,Remember as an electrician you're always working yourself out of a job.

No job is guaranteed.

Good luck...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,Welcome aboard..:)

You're never too old to start new.

Yes as a helper the pay sucks,but that's the price you pay to learn the trade,Take a part time job at night and weekends to make ends meet,and in 5 years or so your hard work will pay off.

As for lay offs,Remember as an electrician you're always working yourself out of a job.

No job is guaranteed.

Good luck...:thumbsup:

Thanks for that! I hear you on the layoff part, however, in the corporate world there is no loyalty or unity. Best way to describe it is; imagine your boss comes around and says "You had a great 2013 congrats, you far exceed your numbers and made great money. In 2014 we want to challenge you but taking away 1/2 your tools. and our exceptions is that your twice as fast as 2013. Good Luck!". Your set up to fall short giving your boss the option to fire you should his budget get cut.
With that said I understand where you are coming from. My brother-in-law has pretty much worked 3 years straight with very little off days. So lets hope the work keep up.

Thanks again!

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Thanks for that! I hear you on the layoff part, however, in the corporate world there is no loyalty or unity. Best way to describe it is; imagine your boss comes around and says "You had a great 2013 congrats, you far exceed your numbers and made great money. In 2014 we want to challenge you but taking away 1/2 your tools. and our exceptions is that your twice as fast as 2013. Good Luck!". Your set up to fall short giving your boss the option to fire you should his budget get cut.
With that said I understand where you are coming from. My brother-in-law has pretty much worked 3 years straight with very little off days. So lets hope the work keep up.

Thanks again!
You're Welcome..:thumbsup:

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
35 is old to start as an apprentice (generally speaking), but you're never too old to do anything!

If you're physically fit and can handle some kid a decade younger than you bossing you around and yelling at you, and the crappy pay, just try it! You know what you're going to get with another white collar office job.. and if you dread that, why keep doing it? They have no loyalty to you, you have no loyalty to them.

Electrician is a good and honest career and you can definitely get a good 20-30 years out of it.

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about the shìtty lay off, those never come at a good time. Take some time to yourself and think real hard about what you want out of life and what you want for your family and when you're sure about yourself, go for it and give it your all.

·
Registered
47 Posts
35 is old to start as an apprentice....
Who ya callin' old, ya young whippersnapper?

I started my apprenticeship at 50, after working for a decade in a desk-job! I'm about to go back for Lvl3 trade-school in April, two weeks after my 52nd birthday...so never say to old!:no:

Reactions: Yukoner and kmg1979

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
I'm pretty much ready for retirement but actually feel like 76.

Still I carry on. The boss tho.

No one is begging me to work for them and other trades on jobs I do complain. I just give them the finger and tell to quit coming to the job till I call them.

Old and crazy works sometimes.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Who ya callin' old, ya young whippersnapper?

I started my apprenticeship at 50, after working for a decade in a desk-job! I'm about to go back for Lvl3 trade-school in April, two weeks after my 52nd birthday...so never say to old!:no:
Hey man, that's totally what I said, check your hearing aid or go get your magnifying glass if the screen print is too small! :laughing:

35 is old to start as an apprentice (generally speaking), but you're never too old to do anything!
I'm just saying it would be a lot easier with an 18 year old body.. so it will be challenging and your body will hurt and you'll often wonder why you chose to do this. But have your mind made up, have no other options on the table and give it your all and you can do it.

In a decade retirement age will be 75 and in another decade from that they will get rid of old age pension and all that junk. So we've got a lot of years to work!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Hi all,

Thank you
Go for a 477A instrumentation tec,
It a two year cource.
There is a shortage of pepole with that licence. Then go work at Darlinton or Pickering.

·
Registered
742 Posts
FrunkSlammer said:
35 is old to start as an apprentice (generally speaking), but you're never too old to do anything! If you're physically fit and can handle some kid a decade younger than you bossing you around and yelling at you, and the crappy pay, just try it! You know what you're going to get with another white collar office job.. and if you dread that, why keep doing it? They have no loyalty to you, you have no loyalty to them. Electrician is a good and honest career and you can definitely get a good 20-30 years out of it. Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about the shìtty lay off, those never come at a good time. Take some time to yourself and think real hard about what you want out of life and what you want for your family and when you're sure about yourself, go for it and give it your all.
35 too old? Scr3w that. I started when I was 40, completed my apprenticeship at 45 and got an 86 on the exam. I work for a contractor that specializes in industrial control and have been very successful at it.

35 too old? Sure sounds prejudicial too me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
35 too old? Scr3w that. I started when I was 40, completed my apprenticeship at 45 and got an 86 on the exam. I work for a contractor that specializes in industrial control and have been very successful at it.

35 too old? Sure sounds prejudicial too me.
Thanks for the Info! Tsmil where did you start? By finding an employer who took you on as an apprentice or school?

I might not have the financial freedom to take a 2 year course. Hence why working as an apprentice sounds more appealing.

Regardless all the info here is great I'm trying to find out where to start.

·
Registered
742 Posts
kmg1979 said:
Thanks for the Info! Tsmil where did you start? By finding an employer who took you on as an apprentice or school? I might not have the financial freedom to take a 2 year course. Hence why working as an apprentice sounds more appealing. Regardless all the info here is great I'm trying to find out where to start.
I started my apprenticeship in a factory as an industrial electrician apprentice. But this was cut short when the factory shut down. I then went to the local IBEW and the contact person there did nothing but discourage me due to my age. ( I have nothing against the IBEW, just this one particular individual). I then found a contractor that took the chance with me and I have been working for him ever since. I did have to change my ticket Fromm 442 to 309a but it was well worth it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Go for a 477A instrumentation tec,
It a two year cource.
There is a shortage of pepole with that licence. Then go work at Darlinton or Pickering.
Thanks for the info Greenman, I'm following up every lead trying to figure out what is the best fit. I wont have the luxury of going to school and even with a parttime job will be tough. I have a mortgage and 4 month old top feed.

477A Instrumentation Tec's part of a union?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Thanks for the info Greenman, I'm following up every lead trying to figure out what is the best fit. I wont have the luxury of going to school and even with a parttime job will be tough. I have a mortgage and 4 month old top feed.

477A Instrumentation Tec's part of a union?
No it is a newer trade certificate / red seal.
POWER WORKERS UNION AND THE CANADAIN UNION OF SKILLED WORKER HIRES THE ALOT.

Also easy trade that is fairly cheap is a fire alarm tec.
You can do this one in your spare time.
This can be done throw the Canadian Fire Alarm Association.

There is also a big shortage of linesman.
So a power line Tec is another good one.
www.cfaa.ca
There are lots of Electrician in that Area and lots out of work.

Reactions: kmg1979

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
35 too old? Scr3w that. 35 too old? Sure sounds prejudicial too me.
You old guys! Let me bump up the font size so you guys can actually read it.

Can you read it now?? :thumbup:

I never said too old and I never said it can't be done, now settle down and go drink your prune juice.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Ok, you never said TOO old, just old. I'm just sick of people making judgement just on age. Had I listened to all the discouragement before I started, I would not be where I am today. I didn't get into the IBEW because the contact person there thought I was too old. He was very careful not to say it outright, but ran me around until I quit trying.

I'm now 51. I don't consider myself old, just older. I train apprentices and never ask them to do anything I am not willing or able to do myself. There is usually two ways of doing a job. Brains or brawn. I teach brains because that will give the apprentice a much longer working career.

I admit I did misread your post, you never said too old. I jumped to a conclusion and for that, I apologize.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
There is usually two ways of doing a job. Brains or brawn. I teach brains because that will give the apprentice a much longer working career.
I wish you had taught me, because most of the people who trained me taught brawn, which killed my body. :mad:

I say try anything and do anything, you're never too old. But I'm also saying that (generally speaking) as the body gets older the physical activities become more difficult. It may be harder starting an apprenticeship at 60 yrs than 35 years, and 35 years than 20 years.

For most it's a very physical job, and apprentices usually get the worst parts of the physicality. But if he's unhappy at his current career and field, there's no better time to change it up than the present!

·
Registered
207 Posts
kmg1979 said:
Hi all, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I was hoping to get some advise from you pro's. I'm currently not in the trade but hoping to become a per-apprentice/apprentice in the next short while. I'm 35 years old and the only experience I have with electrical is home reno's working with 14-2 wire etc. I was laid off from IBM yesterday after 10+ years. I have a 4 month old son, a wife on mat leave. I may have an opportunity to join my brother-in-law's company (he is 3rd year apprentice in commercial). I have hated the office for years and trying to build up the courage to give up on another office job paying 60k and dealing with politics and uncertainty. I want to pursue a career in the electrical trade and build up my skills over the years. However, with a growing family and mortgage will I be able to weather the first years working at 13$-15$/h. That is something I need to consider. I struggle with the question; "I'm I too old to start now?" on the other hand I don't want to be 45 and experience another layoff, by then it will certainly be too late. I don't have a college degree only an AutoCad certification so reading schematics wont be completely new to me, since I use to update CAD drawings for Rogers and Telus. Like I said I have limited electrical experience but I did finish my own basement (inspected and passed by home inspector friend. Only some small fixes). I would still classify myself as per-apprentice. I'm eager to learn and grasp concepts very easily by watching once or twice. Any honest feedback is appreciated perhaps some advice on your own experience would be helpful. I appreciate your feedback and apologize if I have used the wrong form. Thank you
Here is some good info....this is who I went thru...been an IBEW local 353'member for 17 years and making good money working in one of many towers going up in downtown Toronto.(85 grand a year...not including benefits and pension and rrsp) http://www.ibew353.org/ an also
Joint Apprenticeship Council
www.electricalapprenticeship.ca/

·
Registered
742 Posts
FrunkSlammer said:
I wish you had taught me, because most of the people who trained me taught brawn, which killed my body. :mad: I say try anything and do anything, you're never too old. But I'm also saying that (generally speaking) as the body gets older the physical activities become more difficult. It may be harder starting an apprenticeship at 60 yrs than 35 years, and 35 years than 20 years. For most it's a very physical job, and apprentices usually get the worst parts of the physicality. But if he's unhappy at his current career and field, there's no better time to change it up than the present!
Now it's time for a beer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.