Electrician Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've been searching for information, however when I found out about this forum I thought others with more knowledge could help me out then what I was finding on google.

I'm unsure if I post my questions here but I am a recent university graduate trying to pursue a career in trades. I thought being a female and completing school, I should learn something practical and found myself interested in electrical work.

I've been reading some of the threads but everything I'm searching on google is saying that I need to take courses, and have tutition costs. I was wondering if anyone could get me get more knowledge since I have called some companies but they have been little help for me as well.

Thank you so much!

·
Administrator
EC
22,199 Posts
Not sure about Canadian rules but in the US you could work for someone without any schooling. The job is the schooling however you will be paid less and you would have to find someone who didn't mind teaching someone that is green.

BTW, welcome

·
Banned
2,507 Posts
Welcome... Clam? :laughing:

Canada does not require any kind of pre-apprenticeship training. You COULD just go work for someone.. I did.

From what I've seen, females in the trade have some decent offers.. some of the bigger companies are really interested in opening the door to women. Fair enough, it's almost entirely dominated by smelly, hairy, men.

Basically how an apprenticeship works is you get hired by a company, they sponsor you.. you work for them, learning on the job, and maybe once a year you go to school for training. The tuition is pretty low and tax deductible. Also there are many government incentive grants, which basically eliminate all training and tool costs.

It's the best deal in town.

Reactions: clam

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Hi everyone,

I've been searching for information, however when I found out about this forum I thought others with more knowledge could help me out then what I was finding on google.

I'm unsure if I post my questions here but I am a recent university graduate trying to pursue a career in trades. I thought being a female and completing school, I should learn something practical and found myself interested in electrical work.

I've been reading some of the threads but everything I'm searching on google is saying that I need to take courses, and have tutition costs. I was wondering if anyone could get me get more knowledge since I have called some companies but they have been little help for me as well.

Thank you so much!
Welcome..:thumbsup:

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much!
Just be confident in yourself and keep looking for a job as an apprentice you will do fine.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much!
im from toronto aswell.. i took a pre apprentice course before getting hired and it really helped me out..i wasnt so green

·
Banned
2,507 Posts
im from toronto aswell.. i took a pre apprentice course before getting hired and it really helped me out..i wasnt so green
A lot of high school kids take this route, and it's probably not a bad idea.I never did it because there was a wait list of over a year to get in, plus it was a pretty expensive and long program to take.

It would have taken me a good 2 years to finish the pre-app, and then start looking for a job. Instead I just hounded the yellow pages and eventually got taken on.. probably took around 4 weeks for that, and business was booming out here in the pre-olympics construction blitz.

Both are good options.

·
Registered
ICI
27 Posts
Try joining IBEW Local 353. You'll need to apply during the intake that is usually held in May. You start out as a pre-apprentice for 1st year and then if you make the grade, you become an indentured 1st year apprentice the following year. You don't need any experience to apply. I have zero work experience in any trade. However, I'm an insane DIY'fer/handy man. I'm pretty sure that helped me. You will need to write a mechanical aptitude test and pass the interview. If you successfully pass, you'll get a letter in the mail saying congratulations! The wait is up to a year for the 2 week safety orientation and then get sent out to work. That's the stage I'm at now.

I was told 900 applied this year for around 120 positions. Competition is pretty high here but once you get in and show them that you are willing to learn, have an excellent attitude, reliable, hard worker, etc... you should be set.

No need to worry about tuition fees either. It is paid for by the union. On top of the 2 months courses per year, there are also courses set up by the JAC/IBEW to go to every other Saturday (8-12 noon) and it sounds like no courses during the summer. Furthermore, during those 2 months out of work, you will qualify for EI. Chances are, your first EI cheque won't arrive until school is over.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you so much everyone for all of the helpful information, I really appreciate it!!

·
Registered
782 Posts
wellcome clam and thanks for choosing ET.you will learn alot here.
what i have come to realise about this electrical field is that you should always be confident and proactive as harry has put it.all the best:)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Welcome to the forum...:):)
Its just that some firms have a degree requirement,that doesnt mean you cant make your own mark...Best of luck:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts