Electrician Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm an electrician that started working in the trade after graduating from Worcester Boy's Trade High School in 1977. I went back to school to learn digital electronics from '81 to '84. I smartened up and got my electrician's license '86 when I realized a license would give me an edge at the hiring office. I spent the first 1/3 of my time working for a combination of contractors and self employment in New England & Southern California. The second third came from doing electrical / electronics work in the heavy manufacturing (mostly forge and foundry work) sector in Massachusetts. The last 11 years have been working in Verizon's Real Estate Operations as a Building Equipment Mechanic / Watch Engineer. The job at my location involves maintaining a data center and video hub office for Verizon's New England Fios TV service. Three other BEMs & I keep this 50,000 sq ft building and computers running along with ensuring that TV signals go out when everything else around us is dark. Over one thousand batteries, four 750KW UPS systems and four 1.25 Mega Watt turbine fired generators and considerable testing and maintenance make it happen.

I don't do much work outside of Verizon since I started here. The occasional call for help / assistance from family, friends and neighbors is about it really - thankfully. My days of crawling around attic insulation and damp crawlspaces are behind me. So, I won't be actively competing for any of the few jobs out there at all. I figured I'd stop in here from time to time to see what's going on and pose the occasional question or two to help me deal with those pesky family members, friends and neighbors. :)

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm an electrician that started working in the trade after graduating from Worcester Boy's Trade High School in 1977. I went back to school to learn digital electronics from '81 to '84. I smartened up and got my electrician's license '86 when I realized a license would give me an edge at the hiring office. I spent the first 1/3 of my time working for a combination of contractors and self employment in New England & Southern California. The second third came from doing electrical / electronics work in the heavy manufacturing (mostly forge and foundry work) sector in Massachusetts. The last 11 years have been working in Verizon's Real Estate Operations as a Building Equipment Mechanic / Watch Engineer. The job at my location involves maintaining a data center and video hub office for Verizon's New England Fios TV service. Three other BEMs & I keep this 50,000 sq ft building and computers running along with ensuring that TV signals go out when everything else around us is dark. Over one thousand batteries, four 750KW UPS systems and four 1.25 Mega Watt turbine fired generators and considerable testing and maintenance make it happen.

I don't do much work outside of Verizon since I started here. The occasional call for help / assistance from family, friends and neighbors is about it really - thankfully. My days of crawling around attic insulation and damp crawlspaces are behind me. So, I won't be actively competing for any of the few jobs out there at all. I figured I'd stop in here from time to time to see what's going on and pose the occasional question or two to help me deal with those pesky family members, friends and neighbors. :)
Welcome to the forum...:thumbup::thumbup:

Don't lose that job things are bad out here right now...:(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum...:thumbup::thumbup:

Don't lose that job things are bad out here right now...:(
Thanks for the welcome! I'm gonna hold on tightly to this job - rest assured!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Welcome to the funhouse. Grab your favorite beverage, some muchies, lurk a while and have some fun. You may learn something, you may help someone learn something, but one thing is for sure, it ain't boring in here!!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Since you got connections at Verizon, do you think you can do something about the 4 mailings a week I get wanting me to switch to Fios?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the forum. Since you got connections at Verizon, do you think you can do something about the 4 mailings a week I get wanting me to switch to Fios?
Thanks for the welcome.

As far as your question goes.. The best way to stop the mailings is to place an order for Fios installation. :thumbsup: Seriously - no, I can't. If you find a way - let me know so I can try it with Comcast and RCN here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the welcome!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts