Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a job as an electrical helper who is going sending me to apprenticeship in august. I start monday and am excited!!!! They said they would give me a tool list. Is there any must have or make your life easy tools I should pick up? I heard kliens from them a couple of times.

Thanks and hello

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
I just got a job as an electrical helper who is going sending me to apprenticeship in august. I start monday and am excited!!!! They said they would give me a tool list. Is there any must have or make your life easy tools I should pick up? I heard kliens from them a couple of times.

Thanks and hello
Welcome to the trade and the forum..:thumbup:

Here is a list that you can chip away at..

List of tools within 1st year:
Lineman's Pliers & Needle Nose Pliers
Side Cutters & Wire strippers
4" straight blade screw driver
8" straight blade screw driver
Wobbly straight blade screw driver
Razor knife
Nut drivers (1/4", 5/16", 3/8")
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03481333000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=00-12424330-2
Torpedo level

Proximity voltage tester
Hammer
Roto-split
10" Channel lock pliers
12" Channel lock pliers
Hack saw
Sheet rock saw
Leather gloves
1" wide 25' tape measure
Crescent wrench
Conduit reamer (1/2", 3/4", 1")
Tin snips

ElectriciansTool belt and tool pouch.

Like Mcclary said look at this thread..http://www.electriciantalk.com/f14/tool-bag-photos-3679/

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I have most of those tools already. I have a few questions.

What does a wobbly straight blade ( I've always called it flat head) screw driver look like? I can't find any pictures of them.

Razor knife is that a utility knife or something different?

What are some cheaper good brand of proximity voltage checkers?

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Sideways Sparky
1,512 Posts
Thanks, I have most of those tools already. I have a few questions.

What does a wobbly straight blade ( I've always called it flat head) screw driver look like? I can't find any pictures of them.

Razor knife is that a utility knife or something different?

What are some cheaper good brand of proximity voltage checkers?
No such thing, it's fluke or nothing when it comes to ticks. The only thing a greenlee can tell you for sure is that its battery is still good.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the picture, I was thinking it would look somewhat like that.

This one the right proximity volt detector,
Fluke Fluke 1AC-II VoltAlert ??

I was just looking at a greenlee online thanks for the tip.

·
Banned
420 Posts
Thanks

I'll be doing commercial/industrial work. Any Tips?
Always be moving, even if it's sweeping the floor and organizing material.
Get to work early everyday, this way you never get caught in traffic.
Never be later, if a catastrophe happens and you are late, make sure to never be late again.
Be prepared, have the basic tools on you at all times including a pencil.
Know your journeyman and what he wants and needs.
Be a good ground man, anticipate every step that your journeyman might take and be ready. I don't want to say "hand me a connector", I want you to have a connector in your hand and ready to hand to me when I need it.
Watch what he is doing, ask questions, but not when he is in the middle of something or frustrated.
Make sure he didn't make any mistakes, bring up those mistakes in a non-criticizing way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yo man, I'm in the same boat pretty much, I start next monday, completely green to construction, but going straight to apprenticeship. I posted something similar on Thursday (Thats actually where that tool list up there came from), check out everyone's replies, it REALLY helped me out a lot. Just a heads up incase you dont already know, this isn't gonna be cheap to start out but everyone I've talked to says that its well worth it. Here is the link to my post with pretty much all the answers I was looking for.

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f2/entry-apprentice-just-got-hired-help-22346/

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks, I think its a good tool list. I only had to go out and buy a couple of new utility knifes, cos I lost all of mine. They always seem to disappear. Dikes, roto-split, conduit reamer, and non-contact proximity tester.
I might have to buy a new tool pouch, I have a finishers pouch now, I'm not sure how well its going to work. I'm thinking I'm going to be leaning to the right all day. I'll probably have to get another for the other side to even myself up.

I'm very green to commercial/industrial electrical stuff.

I use to work for a land lord with a building lisence and about 50 houses for 1 year full time and 4 years part time previously on the weekends. I did everything from the roof to the cement. I have only replaced plugs, switches, and light fixtures on the electrical side. I have the least experience in electrical. I was his only full time employee. I led his crews on bigger projects. I even had to fire some guys for being lazy, none of the part time guys usually lasted more than a couple of weeks. I'm a very humble and hard working guy, and love learning. The company that hired me wanted someone green so they could teach them their way. In a month I get a 2 week crash course down at their headquaters.

Thank you for all the much appreciated info.

There is alot of experience on this site and hope to hear more.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had a fun first day. I got nice and dirty. I got sent out to dirtiest building in the steel mill. I got to bend pipe, thread them, run cinduit, and pull wire. The tool list is pretty right on. I got to do alot.
I used channel locks the most today, then the nut drivers, and screwdriver.
Tape measure and torpedo level work great too. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts