Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Retired electrician from Burr Ridge, IL (near Chicago). I started my IBEW apprenticeship in 1974 and retired in 2008. During that time I spent about 8 years working as a Project Manager, probably 15 years as a foreman, general foreman. The last year and a half I spent doing mostly CAD design. That was fun.

Best jobs: taking the engineer's drawings on an 18.2 MW data center and designing the below-floor conduit layout. It had to be done in 3D so pipe clashes could be avoided. We had to dig down over 9 feet to start the lowest level of pipe runs so we could get it all under the floor.

I was the GF on the APS build at Argonne Labs. Worked my first two years building what is now Six Flags Great America (it was just Great America when it was being built). Worked on Oak Brook Terrace Tower out of the ground (I returned about 10 years later to work on a Homeland Security installation. That was interesting!) I also enjoyed the first couple of years working as a PM for the initial installations of cell towers/buildings for most of the carriers coming into the Chicago area. But that job became a living hell later on. And I did a lot of small jobs in between.

All that seems light years away now. I spend most of my time now doing woodworking and making guitars from scratch. I kind of miss the jobsite though.

Regards,
Julie

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Pete

·
Administrator
EC
22,466 Posts
Quite the experience---welcome to the forum. Let us know if we can give you advice on building a guitar....LOL

·
Registered
Electrician & Electronics Technologist
1,230 Posts
Welcome. Wow, a woman apprentice in the 70's, I'm curious what that experience was like. We get a few girls in here, often asking about being a woman in the trades. I'm sure someone with your experience in it could be quite the inspiration.

Enjoy the ET-train!

·
Administrator
EC
22,466 Posts

·
Registered
12,167 Posts

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,605 Posts
Welcome to ET.

Did your father by some chance do Some emergency power work at the Great Lakes naval hospital years ago. If so, I remember the day you spotted his name still on the switch gear.
If it wasn't you,,, then a normal Welcome to you.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
welcome aboard
Im sure you have some interesting experience and funny stories to go with it
nice work on that conduit layout:thumbsup:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did your father by some chance do Some emergency power work at the Great Lakes naval hospital years ago. If so, I remember the day you spotted his name still on the switch gear.
No, that wasn't me. Cool story though!

Im sure you have some interesting experience and funny stories
We should start a thread on this. Remembering some of those stories gets me laughing every time.

Thank you again for the welcomes. :)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Welcome to ET! Sounds like you've had a very interesting career.

Thanks for sharing the picture (we love pictures).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts