Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Estwing magic
26,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't find the thread now but last week 480 suggested hiding a junction box above a recessed can. Never thought of it before. Had a situation yesterday where we put a 4 X 4 JB above a 5" can. Worked perfectly. I'm happy :) .

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Can't find the thread now but last week 480 suggested hiding a junction box above a recessed can. Never thought of it before. Had a situation yesterday where we put a 4 X 4 JB above a 5" can. Worked perfectly. I'm happy :) .
I've stashed many jboxes in hihats during remods , I've even stashed a couple doorbell xformers there too.

·
Registered
798 Posts
We won't permit a hole smaller than 8" for access to any box other than the one that is on the pot light housing. Even with an 8" hole the box must be pretty close to the opening

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Go into any mall in NJ and you'll find junction boxes laying on the ceiling behind half of the high hats.

In this situation it's usually acceptable to not follow code as far as securing the box. You leave enough slack in the cable to lower the box down thru the hole so it could be worked on easily. When done you raise the box into the ceiling and lay it down neatly. No, it's not supported, but it's better than forcing the next guy to work thru the 7" high hat hole.

99 cent, your next tip for hiding a junction box is to put a smoke detector over it.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Mshea said:
We won't permit a hole smaller than 8" for access to any box other than the one that is on the pot light housing. Even with an 8" hole the box must be pretty close to the opening
Is that in the cec or is it a local amendment

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Is it for that lighting circuit. If not, that is a horrible thing to do for the next guy. Your ears will be ringing ten years from now.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts

I hope you twisted your wires together...:laughing:

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Is that in the cec or is it a local amendment
I think this is all the CEC states about it:

12-3014 Accessibility of junction boxes
(1) Pull-in, junction, and outlet boxes, cabinets and gutters, and joints in wires and cables shall be accessible.
(2) A vertical space of 900 mm or more shall be required to provide ready access.
and the CEC Handbook elaborates with:

Rule 12-3014 Accessibility of junction boxes
Subrule (1) requires that all boxes, cabinets, and auxiliary gutters be installed so that connections to the enclosed conductors and cables are accessible without the need to remove parts of the building structure. Subrule (2) requires a vertical space of at least 900 mm to provide ready access.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Well you can throw accessibility in the ocean if you simply don't realize , or can't find the JB

But our trade isn't the major culprit. Insulators and basement renovators rate far more aggravation than we impose on ourselves

~CS~

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
FrunkSlammer said:
I think this is all the CEC states about it: and the CEC Handbook elaborates with:
So either mshea has a local amendment prohibiting the hole to be under 8" or he's making up code requirements based on his personal prejudice against the practice. I'd like to know which

·
Estwing magic
26,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
90 cm duh.

Just kidding. It's like 3'
Yeah, I always remember it from a conduit size of 4" equals 100 mm. In practicality, we hardly ever use metric in construction. The code book might say 900 mm. but in our brains it's still three feet.

We all always have a blend. Could you imagine a football game in meters or playing golf in meters? Yuck.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Man. A three foot can light you hid your box above? That must be one awesome lamp...:laughing: do they echo when you are working on your can light? If your gonna hack in stuff like that, there had better be a red lined drawing with instructions with crap you slapped in under budget and out of time..

1 - 20 of 84 Posts