Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warehouse lighting retrofits are booming here in the hoosier state. I am curious if it is common where you are from to order T-5 high bay lights with fixture cords installed? If so, are they just hard wired into the j-box previously used to feed the MH or HPS it is replacing? I must admit this is the norm around here and I am as guilty as the next guy. It is my understanding that any luminarie with a cord connection must be terminated in a "grounding type attachment plug cap or bussway plug" per 2008 NEC 410.62.C.2.c. What say you?

·
Registered
146 Posts
We've never ordered high bays with fixture cords in them. We always use BX and wire them up on the ground then load them up on the lift and hang it. Then all you have to do up on the lift is wire it into the j-box

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These are SJTOOW tails with no cord cap. There is a local contractor who orders up to 20' tails for areas where the new lights will relocate so they can still tie into the existing box. All connections are hard wired with no cord caps. You can imagine the labor savings. It is impossible to compete with.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
400.7(a)[2] allows you to wire any luminare with a cord.

and 400.7(b) doesnt required a cord cap for (a)[2] installations
I read through the luminaire section of the '11 code while in class the other day and I couldn't find anything that would prohibit hardwiring soow . Is it somewhere else in the code?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.