Electrician Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know in the code it states you need to identify the grounded conductor either white or grey but can you use white for the neutral wire for 277volt branch circuits? or does the code state 277 volt and 120 volt circuits need different color neutrals? Im so use to always using brown orange yellow, grey for 277volt circuits i was thrown off when the guy im working with said just use white thhn for the neutrals when we ran out of grey thhn. I personally didnt want to do it and im holding off till more grey thhn comes in monday...Also is it code to have the 277 circuits a different color than the 120 circuits? Or is it just good practice for other workman? Another thing I cant find in the code book...

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
As long as the neutrals from both systems are not in the same enclosure or raceway they are not required to be identified by system. 200.6(D)

Where you have two voltage systems in the building, the ungrounded conductors must be identified as to phase and system. The use of colors is the most common way to do this, but the code does not specify the method to be used. You must post the means being used at each pane. 210.5

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.