Electrician Talk banner

High Pay on a boom lift

6K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  just the cowboy 
#1 ·
I don't want to open a can of worms on the job but, the guys are working tied off on an elevated platform 40 to 80' up and also using a 100+' boom lift.
Our local has high pay of $1 per hour. Its been years since I have thought about it but, do guys generally get high pay on boom lifts or does the guy working on the platform get high pay. Neither or both??

How does it work in your local?

#2 ·
Our high time is $4 and it specially says silo’s/smokestacks over 100’ and boatswing chair over 50 or 75’ I believe. No mention of boom lifts and from what I hear it’s discretionary if they give it to you or not on those. I have little gonads so id probably start crying on 100’ boom lol

#4 ·
There’s a place here that has concessions that all maintenance is at 80% and new construction is at 90%. All contracted new work is done over the winter. My employer used to get jobs there. He always paid 100%.

One cold winter they were doing a job there. Some of the guys had to climb the steel with permanent ladders to run conduit up for a few motors. They pressured the foreman into asking the boss for high time. The boss replied “I’ll give them the high time for the sixty or so man hours, but it will be 90% pay for that and the rest of the winter” :vs_laugh:

We all have to pick and choose our own battles. :vs_laugh:

#6 ·
I think the rule of thumb in my old local was anything over 100'.

Not any silos in NYC I know of but there are plenty of other structures well over 100'.

#8 ·
How does it work in your local?

Journeyman-->Job steward "We're working up on XXX, is this high pay?"
Steward-->Calls the local "Guys working on XXX, is high pay applicable?"
Local-->Steward "Yes or No."
Steward-->Journeyman and/or Foreman "This work XXX is or isn't high pay."

Reactions: brian john
#20 ·
I think there is some truth to this...

I also suspect that there is a spectrum of it too... young and / or inexperienced guys and old less mobile guys are likely more prone to mis-steps / grips, etc.

A 25 to 40 year old JM is what fits the bill in most cases.

But I also think it is true about underground, crawlspace, attic, etc; while not potentially as dangerous, there is lots of things to go wrong other then a bad connection or a dropped screwdriver.

Cheers
John

#23 ·
The contract he posted spells it out good, the key word was unguarded, a boom or lift is guarded. A chair or swinging bucket on a crane was high work for us, even 1 foot off the ground. That was government work, but then again they would also give you dirty work money if was not in your job description.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.