Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found success with LED replacements for PAR56, PAR64, etc? I need the equivalent of PAR56 500w narrow or medium flood, dimmable.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Last year I discovered HyLite LED Lighting. They make a direct PAR56 LED replacement. I put one in a church a couple of months ago and will be going back next month to replace the remaining 7 PAR56 bulbs with LED replacements. We did have to trim the retainer ring to fit the LED replacement. Other than that, the bulb fit the fixture just fine. The church is extremely happy.

Check them out here -- PAR Lamps | PAR64 LED Bulbs | PAR56 Retrofits | PAR45 Lamps. They come in dimmable and non-dimmable variety. Just a note, you will have to order the GX16D adapter separately.

·
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you notice a difference in the light?

At $200ea, most of the places I deal with probably arent interested.

·
Registered
Commercial/Industrial and Service work
164 Posts
Last year I discovered HyLite LED Lighting. They make a direct PAR56 LED replacement. I put one in a church a couple of months ago and will be going back next month to replace the remaining 7 PAR56 bulbs with LED replacements. We did have to trim the retainer ring to fit the LED replacement. Other than that, the bulb fit the fixture just fine. The church is extremely happy.

Check them out here -- PAR Lamps | PAR64 LED Bulbs | PAR56 Retrofits | PAR45 Lamps. They come in dimmable and non-dimmable variety. Just a note, you will have to order the GX16D adapter separately.
Omg I need these for this

·
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
106- 500 watt par 56 and it’s a mofo to get up there let me tell you. About once every 2 months I have to replace like 40-60 of them
There has got to be a better way to do that.

For starters, you cant appreciate all the artwork on the ceiling due to the glare from the lights.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Do you notice a difference in the light?

At $200ea, most of the places I deal with probably arent interested.
The light does appear a little brighter compared to the incandescent. I assumed it has to do with the color temperature. The LED bulb has a 3000K color temp whereas the incandescent bulbs are 2400K to 2700K.

My supplier suggested the 25 degree to replace medium floods and the 40 degree to replace the wide floods.

In talking to the decision makers I highlighted the energy savings (40W vs 300W), reduction in heat generation (less A/C), the longevity of the bulbs.

HyLite does offer a 60-day sample program. Fill-out a form and they ship you a bulb. If you like it, pay for it. If not, ship the bulb back within 60 days. That's what I did with the one bulb the church has now. If your supplier can't get you the form, I may still have the PDF in my email I can give you.

·
Registered
Electrician
1,759 Posts
I wonder how many donations go to the power bill and repairs for that one feature. Seems like a total waste of money that could be used for something more beneficial.

·
Registered
164 Posts
There has got to be a better way to do that.

For starters, you cant appreciate all the artwork on the ceiling due to the glare from the lights.
That’s just because my phone was looking straight into it. Actually the mosaic looks really cool. However it’s on its way out up grading all the lighting in the whole church. Just gotta baby this thing along until after Christmas

·
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I see a motor on the left side of your picture. Is that some kind of cooling apparatus for the light?
That would make it even weirder/cooler.

·
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I forfeit my original thread in favor of finding out absolutely everything about this installation.

When was all of this installed? If not original to the building, what predated it?

What are they changing to next year?

·
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is this the only cool/weird thing in the building or are there others?

Any ceiling fans off camera to bring the heat down in the winter?

WHOSE IDEA WAS THIS???? DOES THIS CHURCH THINK THIS IS NORMAL???

·
Registered
164 Posts
It has 18 30 amp circuits. They originally had 18 20 amp circuits. It had 250watt lamps in it then without consulting anyone they changed them to 500watts and blew every breaker in that panel. Right befor Christmas (the super bowl for them) had to find new
Breakers (put in cutler feed. Through breakers) then I had to Rewire the whole light with new 8 copper. Which I spent about 2 days hauling everything up there. Upon Rewireing I noticed that the lamp sockets were only 250 watt rated so I gutted those for 1000watt rated and high temp wire nuts. However now the thing gets 2 times as hot and the lamps burn out quicker I think that’s bs the née lamps are Chinese the ok’d ones were made in us GE. Hence the reason I had to take thermal pics. But they like it being brighter so I have to spend a day swapping out 45$ light builds once every month or so. The controls are even crazier there’s probably 50 or so ice cube relays which control another 50 or so latching lighting contractors. (Power on and power off) This is all original probably like 100 years. On this setup there’s 2 relays that switch 2 contractors that switch 2 split buss panels
Old or so. The ceiling is 100% mosaic tile. And marble floors and walls and everything else. There are no fans to bring heat down. There’s a boiler system in an adjacent building with underground tunnels for the pipeing. They are changing out every light (or retrofitting) in the whole church next year and the controls to the tune of about 1.5 million). There’s tons of cool **** to see in another done there’s a ledge at the bottom of the dome with lamps on it that you have to tie off in the room behind the dome and lean out the window on your belly and have some one sit on your legs while you reach out to change the lamps. Don’t have anymore pics though I’ll take some next time I go there.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts