Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Screwed by Square

So not only has Square done nothing so far to help me resolve these chargebacks, not only did they withdraw 100% of the funds in question from my bank account, but they also punished me for being a victim of fraud by shutting down my account without advance notice, even though I have processed hundreds of legitimate transactions with them before and since this incident.
~CS~

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
You forgot to say they did give him money back. From the link...

He woke up on Thursday to find that Square had emailed him $2,280.78 – what he says is the full amount of disputed transactions less Square’s 2.75% fee.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot to say they had motive as well Dave>

As for the resolution, he adds, “I’m sure that PR had a lot to do with it, but there are any number of ways they could have chosen to proceed, including doing nothing at all. Even if their motive may have been primarily to respond to a wave of negative PR, they deserve credit for choosing to act quickly and in a way that was meaningful and helpful to my business.”
~CS~

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
I'm not so sure that it's a good idea to place all the blame on square. In dealing with a stolen credit card a few years ago, it became apparent to me that the credit card companies screw ANY merchant over. This appears to a credit card owner as if the credit card company saves the day for them, but the merchants are the ones that get screwed for fraudulent charges. Beware of this fact if you are taking credit cards for payment.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Th jist is, they protected their OWN interests first and foremost, and before any appreciable level of customer service WildOne

So do most banks, which is why i keep my involvement with them as minimal as possible

~CS~

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
Well when push comes to shove (example you are in front of a judge) you do have a tendency to look after your own butt.

Few will do the right thing.

I guess the CC companies look after the owner of the card. That seems to be standard. How they do it we often don't hear about it. I suspect they rarely take a hit as in this case where square took it on the chin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts