Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Estwing magic
27,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted about hiring a female apprentice and that thread seems to have disappeared. Did you guys get nasty?

Anyway, first day she showed up right on time, all tooled up and ready to go. She's smart, eager to work and I had her doing demo. She cleans up as she goes along and doesn't mind the dirty work. She says she loves what she does.

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
I posted about hiring a female apprentice and that thread seems to have disappeared. Did you guys get nasty?

Anyway, first day she showed up right on time, all tooled up and ready to go. She's smart, eager to work and I had her doing demo. She cleans up as she goes along and doesn't mind the dirty work. She says she loves what she does.
Excellent.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts

Is she brand new green, or has she been doing it for a bit?

·
Electrical Contractor
5,566 Posts

Of course it got nasty.
Hope she works out for you.
Good apprentice's seem to be harder than ever to find. They all seem to think the trade is easy money and no sweat required.

Reactions: The_Modifier

·
Estwing magic
27,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is she brand new green, or has she been doing it for a bit?

She's fairly green. Wired some new houses and then worked a little bit of industrial.

She already has some stories to tell. She was on a job and was put with a Muslim journeyman. He wouldn't let her do any work. Must have been a cultural thing. After a couple of days, she explained it to her foreman. He put her with another journeyman :) .

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
She's fairly green. Wired some new houses and then worked a little bit of industrial.

She already has some stories to tell. She was on a job and was put with a Muslim journeyman. He wouldn't let her do any work. Must have been a cultural thing. After a couple of days, she explained it to her foreman. He put her with another journeyman :) .
Well that's good for you that she at least knows how to use her tools, makes your job teaching her easier with some experience. There's no reason she can't turn out to be a good electrician. Good for you.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I personally would never hire a woman electrician. I like to think I do a man's job. If too many women start doing my job it'll be time to find a new one. I'm not being funny, I'm serious. I love to rag on all the guys that work with women or for them. I wear the pants in my house too. I don't want a woman president either, even if she was a hot governor from Alaska (but if I had to choose the lesser of two evils....)

·
Jesus Scott
9,382 Posts
I personally would never hire a woman electrician. I like to think I do a man's job. If too many women start doing my job it'll be time to find a new one. I'm not being funny, I'm serious. I love to rag on all the guys that work with women or for them. I wear the pants in my house too. I don't want a woman president either, even if she was a hot governor from Alaska (but if I had to choose the lesser of two evils....)

:laughing:

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
I'm the boss also, my wife said I could be today.:laughing:

I bet your a fine turd to work for.:rolleyes:

·
Electrical Contractor
5,566 Posts
take your pick

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
I don't normally respond to this type of thread, but I'm curious. What constitutes a "man's" job? What is the cut off for women crossing over to a "man's" job? Is it the weight she can lift, height she can climb, tools she can carry, how dirty she can get, brain power she can use?

For the record, I have seen very few females that made this their prime career for one reason or another. But it was their choice, not mine. I have also seen a few women who could make most of us look like deadbeats.

Like I said, just curious.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.