Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as promised, the first question I have is related to hiring.

I think these job boards are a great resource for electricians, or seem to be...I see a handful of users from California as well, which is good to know. But, I am currently researching a more consistent hiring funnel that we can rely on for quick business growth, if we need it.

I'm assuming some kind of recruiting site or independent recruiter is the way to go here, particularly one that knows the required certifications and what not (there are industry-specific recruiters, of course). Although I am unaware of how union laws work and their repercussions on hiring.

Am I off the mark here?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one?

I understand the question is rather vague, I guess I'm just wondering if there's anything more I need to know about the process. I'm going to post jobs with all the necessary requirements to online recruiting sites like Dayak and maybe even craigslist if I get desperate (the recruit marketplaces are usually reliable, though). I just don't want to lead myself down the wrong path.

Thanks!

·
Registered
32,802 Posts
Not I am not serious homeless shelter and bars are retired electrician homes,. These retired guys don't want to work.

There is a thread with scales paid, In Washington DC scale is 36.00 plus bennies, holidays, vacation and truck. I THINK?

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
A couple of thoughts...

There are no unemployed electricians (worth hiring, anyhow).
Your next employee already works for someone, and you probably already know his name.
If you need to "ramp up" tomorrow for some reason, your only option in most of the country is union labor.

Slow to hire, quick to fire. That's how I roll...

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
....There are no unemployed electricians (worth hiring, anyhow).....
What about the good guys who work for a company that goes bankrupt?

I'm getting calls every day from guys who are simply the victim of the state's largest resti builder going belly up. Their EC laid off a bunch of their crews for lack of work. Surely there's some good ropers in there somewhere...

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
What about the good guys who work for a company that goes bankrupt?

I'm getting calls every day from guys who are simply the victim of the state's largest resti builder going belly up. Their EC laid off a bunch of their crews for lack of work. Surely there's some good ropers in there somewhere...
Eh, you're talking about an exception. It's not like there's a contractor in every labor market presently going bankrupt and putting men on the street. A whole crew of guys from a recently closed outfit is worth looking through. At least try to hire the foreman or the senior service guy or something along those lines. At a minimum, try to get those guys in for an interview to pick their brain about the rest of the crew. If they're just downsizing, chances are pretty good they're getting rid of the chaff and keeping the wheat.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
OUt here for a while there were a lot of small start up companies getting these school jobs and folding real fast. I knew one great electrician who said his last three companies went out of business. Which made him the but of a few jokes but like I said he was a real good sparky.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.