Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 400 amp single phase service for an ag building. It will be fed from an 800 amp service that is 1100 feet away. Anyone know of any reason why I couldn't install a transformer at the site to compensate for the new load. Does the transformer need additional over current protection?

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
I have a 400 amp single phase service for an ag building. It will be fed from an 800 amp service that is 1100 feet away. Anyone know of any reason why I couldn't install a transformer at the site to compensate for the new load. Does the transformer need additional over current protection?
Article 230 ? (not enough info for a proper answer)

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
What voltage is the service?
What voltage do you need at the new location?
How would a transformer compensate for the load?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The service is 120/240 single phase
The new service is 120/240 single phase
I'm just concerned about the distance.
Was thinking a transformer bc of the extreme
Length of the feeders .......

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I'm almost thinking it would be cheaper to run 3 sets of 3/0 (CU) vs 2 or upsize the conductors instead of the xfmr option.

I hope someone with more experience chimes in.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
assuming you have done a proper load calculation for the added subpanel,

you just need to figure the cost of each option to decide.

·
Senile Member
373 Posts
500 mcm is typical for a 400 amp service. Bump it up to 600 mcm in a 4 inch PVC for voltage drop. In my opinion another transformer is not really the answer, as it actualy would be an additional load.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Have the utility bring a primary over for a separate service. The utilities around here will give you another one as long as it is atleast 600ft from the other service. Most rural coops charge about $10 a ft for underground primary. You can't install oversized low voltage feeders for $10/ft.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Have the utility bring a primary over for a separate service. The utilities around here will give you another one as long as it is atleast 600ft from the other service. Most rural coops charge about $10 a ft for underground primary. You can't install oversized low voltage feeders for $10/ft.
I agree. Your first phone call should be to the power company.

I'm going to be doing a dairy building in the near future, it will be about 1200' from the power poles IF we can get the power company to bring the lines a little closer. Right now as it sits it's 2800'. I'm going to set a 480V 3 phase service at the pole and then run 480v single phase to the building and then set a transformer with a 240v house panel. The 480v will help with VD and wire size.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts