Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A customer declined my referral of a friend who is an excellent carpenter and GC in favor of a "cheaper guy". I got a call that the walls and ceiling were finished and painted and ready for trim out. This is what I find.
I installed everything and packed up my tools. Jumbo plates covered the switches and receptacles. The vanity light covered as well. I can't say the same for the exh fan and can lights.
"How are you going to fix that?" he asked me. "You need to call back your cheaper guy and have him fix it." I said. I presented my invoice and collected my final payment.

This was a basement bathroom in a $350k house on a golf course. Customers just love to cheap out even when they have plenty of money I guess.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
You should have installed standard size faceplates.
i would have. no way i would make any effort to help anyone fix that mess.. they deserve it lol. i just gave a price of $6500 to wire a guys renovation, and another ec gave him a similar number. he found someone to do it for 1500 plus material.. heard from my buddy thats doing the carpentry there that its a total disaster and the guy has been there a week already and is still "looking for the home runs" do i care? not one bit!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
W don't usually carry jumbo plates so he would have got standard plates. Or paid extra for me to go get some. I barely ever use them so I stopped carrying them.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
How do jumbo plates fix anything? The final should fail either way.

314.21 Repairing Noncombustible Surfaces. Noncombustible
surfaces that are broken or incomplete around boxes
employing a flush-type cover or faceplate shall be repaired
so there will be no gaps or open spaces greater than 3 mm
(1⁄8 in.) at the edge of the box.

·
Can't Remember
10,431 Posts
Agreed, that looks horrible. He got what he paid for. At least the drywaller didn't chew up the wiring.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
awesome

·
Registered
110 Posts
This drives me nuts when I get called to do finishing and every hole is oversized.

Had one house that had every receptacle and switch with visible with cover plates on. They look at you like "how come the plugs not on right".
Just look at them and say "get a proper drywaller." They ended up having them come back and repair each one. In my town the are so many 'handymen' companies that claim they can do it all themselves.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts