Electrician Talk banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Hackenschmidt
11,465 Posts
What a bite in the ass, 25' of AFC 10/2 MC at HD yesterday, over $65, comes to about $2.60 a foot. :mad:

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
546 Posts
Monday I'm installing a temporary solution to re-energize a warehouse that got it's copper stolen literally out of it's switchgear inside the warehouse... Someone broke in and stole the copper out of the damn switchgear, I hear they cut the busbars out and everything as well, I ain't making it up haha... I'll snag a pic come Monday.
Looks like we're all going to be doing a lot of temporary generators and pulling in new feeds from here on out, get ready!!!
You may already know this if the gear is CH/Eaton there is a GO number on a name plate somewhere on the gear. If you can locate that number and call the local office you can get all of the pieces made for bus re manufactured. Then again UL listings and your local AHJ may think differently than that. I mention this only in the amount of time it could save getting the gear back together. I have been told that SQD has something similar, but I do not know for sure.

·
Registered
Electrician
228 Posts
Just checked several Home Depot’s and Lowe’s in my area and none of them have 250’ rolls of 14/2 romex. Maybe everyone is panic buying because of the increases. That’s what I was trying to do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Spot price for copper is almost $5. It more than doubled in the last couple months. Steel is at an all time high in history. Oil has doubled in two months. The stock market is tanking as they price in making $1 9 trillion dollars of debt appear with $0.00 in actual value behind it. Sort of like taking out a huge loan to buy your 16 year old kid a Tesla for their first car...total waste of money. This is just the beginning. As inflation kicks in we will see a recession that will make 2009 seem like a minor bump in the road. And then DC will of course say the only solution is $4 trillion in new taxes.
It's the sign of a strong economy starting! They are anticipating high usage for these metals! oil prices have not doubled they are about the same or a slight bit higher and that's because demand is up!

·
Registered
383 Posts
It's the sign of a strong economy starting! They are anticipating high usage for these metals! oil prices have not doubled they are about the same or a slight bit higher and that's because demand is up!
Or supply shortages from facility shutdowns and a recent more restrictive stance on energy production in the US.

·
Registered
Master Electrician - Ontario
3,499 Posts
Public Pricing (23 April 2021)

14/2 - 150m (500' +/-) = $1.30 / m ($0.39 / foot) = $195 per roll
12/2 - 150m (500' +/-) = $2.06 / m ($0.62 / foot) = $309 per roll

Contractor pricing is not much different right now. Also not a lot of inventory available right now either.

Cheers
John

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
1,434 Posts
$7.09 for 2-2-2-4 SER at the depot but the supply house was $12.00+/-. PVC was also cheaper at the Depot but the supply did not last long. Gone in two days.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Public Pricing (23 April 2021)

14/2 - 150m (500' +/-) = $1.30 / m ($0.39 / foot) = $195 per roll
12/2 - 150m (500' +/-) = $2.06 / m ($0.62 / foot) = $309 per roll

Contractor pricing is not much different right now. Also not a lot of inventory available right now either.

Cheers
John
At the local Westburne, 14/2 is $1.53 per meter ($229.50 for a 150M roll) before discount. As you said though, the difference between what the public pays and what contractors pay isn't massive these days :(

·
Registered
Electrician
228 Posts
I’ve been trying to support my SH and break away as much as possible from Home Depot these days but when it comes to the romex prices they make it too hard, Depot always has the wire for less.

In my area:
250 coils of 12/2 this week went up to $140
250 coils of 14/2 this week went up to $104

·
Registered
149 Posts
NM cable at HD in the North Atlanta metro market jumped about 15% this week.
I was in my local supply house a couple of days ago to get some material for a recessed lighting install and the supply house was out of 14/2 NM.

NM prices today at HD locally:
14/2 250' - $120 (was $51.21 six months ago, $39.19 one year ago).
12/2 250' - $160 (was $78.51 six months ago).
14/2 250' - $154.53 (was $80.00 six months ago, $61.24 one year ago).
6/2 125' - (If you can find it) $378.00 (was 165.00 one year ago).

I priced a finished basement on Monday and told the customer (also written into quote/contract) that we could only guarantee the quote for 24 hours because of material scarcity and price increases. The framing and other work won't be completed for a couple of weeks so it will be at least 3 weeks before electrical rough. I explained to the customer that if they accepted the quote the only way to guarantee the price was to pay a deposit and we would purchase the material package to secure current pricing. Due to the number of lights, switches, and outlets in the basement the material cost for this job has increased a bit in the past 72 hours.

If things keep going like this we're going to need a bigger shop to store materials for projects that are 3-6 weeks out.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts