Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While at Home Depot I happened to spot this package which contains a weatherproof Bell box, a standard outlet, and a flip cover. First of all you and I know that the plug needs to be GFCI protected, tamper resistant , weather rated, and in most cases a bubble cover is required. This package offers none of those features and in my opinion is encouraging homeowners to do the wrong thing. maybe I'm overreacting but I feel that it's irresponsible of the manufacturer to put together such a package .

Attachments

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Im sure that box is more than 12 years old.:whistling2: If it gets put on a 100 year old house its safer then what was there.;)

Anyway, like 480 sparky said, HD is in it to make money. I see boat loads of advice in HD that's not NEC complaint, but HD is more concerned kids are sitting in the cart correctly. Doesn't matter to them if the house they live in is safe or not.

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
Although I have no idea when bubble cover were required, the DIYer may get lucky and put it in a place where it is compliant. I still have some municipalities here that are on the '02 cycle

Not to mention damp locations (gazebos or screened porches)

·
Registered
747 Posts
Nothing wrong with it, if its on a GFIC BREAKER

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
elecpatsfan said:
While at Home Depot I happened to spot this package which contains a weatherproof Bell box, a standard outlet, and a flip cover. First of all you and I know that the plug needs to be GFCI protected, tamper resistant , weather rated, and in most cases a bubble cover is required. This package offers none of those features and in my opinion is encouraging homeowners to do the wrong thing. maybe I'm overreacting but I feel that it's irresponsible of the manufacturer to put together such a package .
id install it at my house :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 114 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.