Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
That's just terrifying. I imagine the poor bastards living there now have all the diseases. All of them.
Yeah, I saw that and decided that nothing less than dropping the entire house into a blast furnace would suffice to deal with that. :eek:

·
Can't Remember
10,139 Posts
Love those old nasty ringed meter sockets. Out standing in the snow working with one today with a burned lug. Joy of joys.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Custom roof deck drainage

The owner had installed plastic household storage bins below all the leaks and connected the bins to a network of improperly sloped ¾-inch PVC pipes that drained into an interior sink. :laughing:

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts
Hell yeah, and I get close to $300 for fixin one or two "double lug'd" Square-D circuit breakers (legal) that those experts locate............

Truthfully, they are turning me into one hell of a lazy bastard. The money is so easy thanks to you guys I am getting to where I hate to do real work anymore........ Mahalo. and keep it up. Don't forget to find some of those extremely dangerous missing covers on junction boxes in the attic, I hit em for a $100 for those every time.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
The amount of dangerous defects I have seen missed by HI is mind blowing. I see guys posting scarely simple questions over on Internachi. Its the none member electricians that actually give the right answers. One guy got 2 volt on an old ungrounded 2 prong outlet and didn't know what a 2 volt outlet was used for (like they exist) or that ungrounded outlets even existed in the first place yet doing home inspections where life safety is involved:eek:

HI are desperately in need of more advanced electrical training as a whole. They may tell them to call out double taps and a missing J box covers, which isn't as dangerous; but the real dangerous defects such as MWBC on the same phase or back feeding generator interlocks gets missed all the time. :no:

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Last i checked, about 1/2 of the states had some level of HI certification.

My state does not, so HI could be anything from an engineering firm down to a retired GC

I have had little complaint(s) with the former, yet have had major HI Nightmares from the latter

All i'll say is, if you're thinking that all you need do is blindly address some HI's list of electrical woes, you may be setting yourself up for serious litigation as the last 'electrically qualified entity'* appearing at the structure

*actual summons wording

~CS~

·
Banned
33,456 Posts
People can sue anybody they like for anything at all. The summons will reflect that. Doesn't mean it will stick. I could sue Miss America for not sleeping with me, but I don't believe it will get very far in court.

However, I use a contract to follow home inspectors. It states that I will make repairs only to items located by the home inspector. Nothing else, and I won't be investigating for any more either. Also I have a line or ten about the homeowner agrees that I am not responsible for any existing defects to the wiring of the structure, that were not discovered by the home inspection Expert.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Well said Mac

In fact, could we inspire you to post a few of your protectant passages here?

It might save a little grief for one of us down the road

~CS~

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Last i checked, about 1/2 of the states had some level of HI certification.

My state does not, so HI could be anything from an engineering firm down to a retired GC

I have had little complaint(s) with the former, yet have had major HI Nightmares from the latter

All i'll say is, if you're thinking that all you need do is blindly address some HI's list of electrical woes, you may be setting yourself up for serious litigation as the last 'electrically qualified entity'* appearing at the structure

*actual summons wording

~CS~
At lest in those cases an electrician gets called out eventually seeing what was missed. The real issue is when dangerous defects get missed. No electrician sees it and the HO believes their word is solid.

·
Banned
33,456 Posts
Well said Mac

In fact, could we inspire you to post a few of your protectant passages here?

It might save a little grief for one of us down the road

~CS~
Funny you should ask that Steve. There is some of my word for word stuff I gracefully loaned out to the proprietor of ES2 in his Flat Rate package, and you are most certainly welcome to access it for the low low price of 99 bucks a month as a subscriber. :thumbup:

Reactions: HARRY305E

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Assuming you're receiving royalties , i can see why you've stumped for Joe C & co. here Mac

~CS~

1 - 20 of 33 Posts