Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had one today throw one on me I've never had before. He went over the house with a fine tooth comb. All he could come up with was that the voltage in the outlets were too low. He said they only had 117 volts and should be 120 volts. He wrote this in the report and said it needs to checked by a qualified electrician to determine the problem. Now he has the potential buyers scared and making them think there is a problem. This house is not in a subdivision and sits about 100' from the transformer, which mounted on a pole, so by the time I went underground from the meter to a pole 100' away, then up the pole 25-30'. Yeah it might have lost 3 volts somewhere. Some of the stuff these guys come up with to scare people.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
heath124 said:
Had one today throw one on me I've never had before. He went over the house with a fine tooth comb. All he could come up with was that the voltage in the outlets were too low. He said they only had 117 volts and should be 120 volts. He wrote this in the report and said it needs to checked by a qualified electrician to determine the problem. Now he has the potential buyers scared and making them think there is a problem. This house is not in a subdivision and sits about 100' from the transformer, which mounted on a pole, so by the time I went underground from the meter to a pole 100' away, then up the pole 25-30'. Yeah it might have lost 3 volts somewhere. Some of the stuff these guys come up with to scare people.
I don't guess he checked the voltage at the panel eh?
It's getting bad here, home inspectors are considered professionals . NOT TRUE!!
Had one actually argue with me in front of a real estate agent I work for once in awhile.
Finally lost my cool and had to ask him if he thought his weekend course trumped my licence.
Real estate agent started laughing which shut him up.
I wouldn't mind if they used some common sense , but recommending major upgrades for no real reason .
Scares the potential buyers away!!

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've told several buyers and real estate agents that they feel the need to find something wrong to justify their price, but all they have to do is tell the buyer. I didn't find anything wrong but that is the chance you take when you have an inspection done on a brand new home that has already passed the city inspection.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts

117? That's so funny because by their standards its 7 volts to high. Almost every report Ive read calls it 110 instead of 120.

3 volts might not even be from the low voltage drop, the primary voltages vary widely as well.

HI have the worst electrical training. I have had a lot of the industry professionals say and I agree with this that most HIs aren't trained anywhere near satisfactorily to be doing electrical inspections.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
I don't guess he checked the voltage at the panel eh?
It's getting bad here, home inspectors are considered professionals . NOT TRUE!!
Had one actually argue with me in front of a real estate agent I work for once in awhile.
Finally lost my cool and had to ask him if he thought his weekend course trumped my licence.
Real estate agent started laughing which shut him up.
I wouldn't mind if they used some common sense , but recommending major upgrades for no real reason .
Scares the potential buyers away!!
They have there own sights. Its scary the stuff they miss. Its laughable what they call out. Panel with major defects gets posted and all the HIs say looks good. Double tap and everyone panics. They get lost on random excerpts from the code that have nothing to do with the actual problem. The reports they type up including UL references taken out of context make them seem as though they know what they are talking about to those who don't have a clue about electrical, but to those who are experts see right through the smoke and mirrors.

The saddest part was they used to ridicule electricians and those who actually knew the code off their own forums out of arrogance. Good news as of late they are listening to actual professionals posting their forums, which they are in dire need of. 9 out of every 10 correct observations are made by the none HI electrician and code expert guests:eek: Something major needs to change in the system.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
Tell him to pass the good news on to his POCO. They might even get a good laugh out of it!!:laughing:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.