Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A family friend just closed on a house that was an estate sale. Everything is pretty much original except for a new range feed, which was installed professionally and the dryer feed which comes out of the panel goes halfway across the garage stapled to the sheetrock to a flying splice taped the size of a small softball. Also, there's no ground at the water meter. No mention in report.

The last one was a log cabin with a master bedroom addition without a footing under the main support column. Looking at it from the street you could see that it sunk and tilted a little. There was also a meter/main with SEU run under the house to the panel in the closet behind the boiler. No mention in report.

At least get the big stuff

·
Banned
549 Posts
I recently got a service change because the new owners of the house said the home inspector said they needed a new panel because some of the breakers had wires doubled up on them.

I spoke to the home owner who told me that if he needed a new panel, he might as well upgrade from 100 to 200A.

I told him that he didn't need a new panel, it was only about 20 years old. I explained that I could fix the problem with a few wires nuts and if he wanted I could install a subpanel to give more spec for the future.

But he was set on what the home inspector told him, he needed a new panel because someone put 2 wires on a breaker. I was happy to change the entire service knowing that I tried to do the right thing (I do have some morals ya know).

The funny part about the story is that the home inspector didn't oint out that there were 4 #14 wires landed on 20A breakers :laughing:

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
I would definitely suggest doing what Hax suggested. Giving potential customers accurate information is what they crave more than anything. They'll appreciate your honesty and not hesitate to hire you in the future. This has worked well for me and my business.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
There is no state requirement for an HI in Vermont, which is why 1/2 of them are involved in some litigation all the time

That said, don't unwittingly vouch for the electrical if you're called in for a minor repair note it on your invoice , in whatever legalese you can that you were called to address HI concerns ONLY

~CS~

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
A family friend just closed on a house that was an estate sale. Everything is pretty much original except for a new range feed, which was installed professionally and the dryer feed which comes out of the panel goes halfway across the garage stapled to the sheetrock to a flying splice taped the size of a small softball. Also, there's no ground at the water meter. No mention in report.

The last one was a log cabin with a master bedroom addition without a footing under the main support column. Looking at it from the street you could see that it sunk and tilted a little. There was also a meter/main with SEU run under the house to the panel in the closet behind the boiler. No mention in report.

At least get the big stuff

DO me a favor please, take a pic of all the violations and have the clients Email all the potential dangers he missed. He is legally required to acknowledge those concerns. Have them ask the HI why they are not an issue.

But from personal experience I see it all the time. They have no clue what they are doing while everyone believes their word is absolute.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Haven't been around here in a long while......surprised I remembered my password! Anyway speaking of home inspectors what I get a lot of is the HI calls out " electrician needs to separate grounds and neutrals in sub panel" and the realtor or owner thinks this is minor, maybe 30 minutes work, till I point out it is a three wire sub panel. I suspect some people just go ahead and install a grounding bus grounded to nothing and move the grounding wires to it. Maybe they pound in a ground rod too. I bid for a new 4 wire feed and usually a new sub panel too if it's ancient.

We must have a million 3 wire sub panels here, they were even being installed in the 70's. The last one he said "separate the grounds and neutrals" but made NO mention of the #10 THHN being used as the neutral in a 60 Amp sub, nor the fact that the single conductors entered the panel knockout with no sign of conduit or any type of bushing showing. Turns out the conductors were duct taped together and ran thru the building like Romex.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.