Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

· Registered
2,286 Posts
Basement

Show Stairs with landing, light and 3 way back up, circuit assignment
Light that is not circuited.
Fan light Combo in large room?
Consider 2 or 3 dimmable 4” spot in corner of large room for theater lighting.
Align lights to space in short rooms.

1st Floor

3-way and light circuit w/pointed arrow down stairs
You don’t show TV/Cable/wireless drop and Power- multi places
Exhaust Hood in Kitchen ? Power
Note Elevation (42”, 72”) for all Higher receptacles
Bedroom needs a Light Fan?
Living Room need a Light Fan?
Spread your 5 light string apart in kitchen and start into “L” of counter.
Keep 5th light in alignment to other two lights.
Move lights so it’s at least over where a person is standing
So their body doesn’t shadow on counter.

Circuit for undercabinet lights for cabinets?

Quad. receipt. at “L” shape
Bathroom door swing is wrong.
Need a fart fan and switch
Need a light BR over sink w. switch
Laundry light switch on wrong side or door needs to be or one needs to flipped
No TV drop in bedroom. You might consider
No light out back door

No Exterior GFCI circuit out Front or Back
No Exterior Light out Back W/ Switch

Other than that, Get'd done

· Registered
IBEW 34 Apprentice
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dinning room receptacle circuit can’t feed other loads. They are part of the SABC. Why do you have a circuit for the outside sconce lights and a separate for the porch light?
That’s a good question. I ignorantly put them in separate circuits because, I want them on separate switches. Thanks. By other loads contingent on the SABC dining room circuit ON THIS PRINT do you mean the closet light or the light in the center? If the closet light, then obviously the light in the center.

· Registered
IBEW 34 Apprentice
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Basement

Show Stairs with landing, light and 3 way back up, circuit assignment
Light that is not circuited.
Fan light Combo in large room?
Consider 2 or 3 dimmable 4” spot in corner of large room for theater lighting.
Align lights to space in short rooms.

1st Floor

3-way and light circuit w/pointed arrow down stairs
You don’t show TV/Cable/wireless drop and Power- multi places
Exhaust Hood in Kitchen ? Power
Note Elevation (42”, 72”) for all Higher receptacles
Bedroom needs a Light Fan?
Living Room need a Light Fan?
Spread your 5 light string apart in kitchen and start into “L” of counter.
Keep 5th light in alignment to other two lights.
Move lights so it’s at least over where a person is standing
So their body doesn’t shadow on counter.

Circuit for undercabinet lights for cabinets?

Quad. receipt. at “L” shape
Bathroom door swing is wrong.
Need a fart fan and switch
Need a light BR over sink w. switch
Laundry light switch on wrong side or door needs to be or one needs to flipped
No TV drop in bedroom. You might consider
No light out back door

No Exterior GFCI circuit out Front or Back
No Exterior Light out Back W/ Switch

Other than that, Get'd done
Thank you. Very helpful.

· Registered
IBEW 34 Apprentice
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First off, are you an electrician? To me your sketch does not make economical sense. Are the numbers circuit directory numbers because they don't line up. Do you want the electricians here to design this job for you?
First off, are you kidding me? Am I an engineer or bidder? No. It doesn’t make economical sense for me to reply to a complacent, arrogant comment like this. It takes a few eggs to make an omelet, Mr. 37 Year Contractor. I bend pipe, pull wire, and trim out panels, devices, and lights because, my daddy or uncle isn’t contractor himself. I do it well. Do I get to look at prints often? No. The IBEW 34 JATC gives more of a “working man’s” method of education. I don’t get an education in other words. Your questions aren’t lining up, kid. I asked “How did I do?”. Where are you from? What kind of test do I need to take to be a journeyman where you’re from? How many hours of classroom education do I need? How many do I need to blow to act like anyone trying to get into the trade is entitled in a negative sense when the seek criticism. Maybe I’m the 50 year contractor and this is a test for you. What’s uneconomical about a spontaneous review of you’re ability to notice mistakes or keep it simple? You’re comment was a waste of time. Bang up job…Not. I’m disappointed.

· Electrical Contractor
6,000 Posts
Sorry, but when someone blows up over a simple question, it is usually to deflect.
The rules of this forum specifically says no DIYers.
So rather than being a self righteous asshole, just answer the question. Its a very simple yes or no, or apprentice.

· Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
4,160 Posts
First off, are you kidding me? Am I an engineer or bidder? No. It doesn’t make economical sense for me to reply to a complacent, arrogant comment like this. It takes a few eggs to make an omelet, Mr. 37 Year Contractor. I bend pipe, pull wire, and trim out panels, devices, and lights because, my daddy or uncle isn’t contractor himself. I do it well. Do I get to look at prints often? No. The IBEW 34 JATC gives more of a “working man’s” method of education. I don’t get an education in other words. Your questions aren’t lining up, kid. I asked “How did I do?”. Where are you from? What kind of test do I need to take to be a journeyman where you’re from? How many hours of classroom education do I need? How many do I need to blow to act like anyone trying to get into the trade is entitled in a negative sense when the seek criticism. Maybe I’m the 50 year contractor and this is a test for you. What’s uneconomical about a spontaneous review of you’re ability to notice mistakes or keep it simple? You’re comment was a waste of time. Bang up job…Not. I’m disappointed.
[/QUOTE

There are many homeowners who come here for free advice . Does a lawyer or doctor give out advice? We do not know who you are because you did not fill out a profile. Your numbering and wiring diagrams show that you have little knowledge of house wiring. That plus no profile is why I said what I did.
Are you in the trade? If so then maybe follow the guidelines and fill out the information.

· Registered
4,160 Posts
Sorry, but when someone blows up over a simple question, it is usually to deflect.
So rather than being a self righteous asshole, just answer the question. Its a very simple yes or no, or apprentice.
Thank you. I did not think I was rude. His sketches did not make sense. Mixing kitchen circuits with lighting. Only 2 or 3 items on a circuit. Panel numbering not consistent. Basic stuff for anybody in the trade. He is looking at 10 or more AFCI circuits.

· Registered
IBEW 34 Apprentice
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No need to apologize, Sigmund Frued. Although, maybe your guidelines should stipulate no psychology. Then again, I think that to deflect a simple question as to how I did, with a question as to if I were a DIYer or not was a little rude. That’s what I thought. I’m not entitled to an elicitation of basic electrical design. That’s easy to see. I asked for criticism, I gave you a print, and I’m a 5th year apprentice. That’s nothing to be proud of, but what the hell did you want? Apprentice or not, I had a valid question and I did my best on my first attempt at design layout.

· Registered
IBEW 34 Apprentice
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you. I did not think I was rude. His sketches did not make sense. Mixing kitchen circuits with lighting. Only 2 or 3 items on a circuit. Panel numbering not consistent. Basic stuff for anybody in the trade. He is looking at 10 or more AFCI circuits.
Well, I asked you how I did, bud. You should update you’re information with “self righteous”. I could’ve used that information 3 hours ago. Uneconomical.
If you mean GFCI’s in the basement, I get it. I don’t do residential. If I need to keep lights off of my SABC’s you could’ve said so. That’s not basic for anyone in the trade! The last sentence was basic for anyone in the trade. There are many avenues. That’s day one stuff.
How many devices do you typically see on a 20amp residential circuit? Is it true that dining room power is apart of an SABC?

· Registered
4,160 Posts
AFCI not GFCI but you also might need dual breakers. All these add up. They are between $50.00 and $60.00 each. Electricians are changing the way they wire houses to save money and avoid nuisance tripping.

· Registered
Electrician
2,599 Posts
Quite a few mistakes that have already been addressed above. If you said more than "how did I do" In your first post he wouldn't have asked if you were DIY. Generally people here are very helpful towards apprentices. We get a lot of DIY and homeowners trying to get free advice, and my self am a little leary of helping someone out that may not fully understand or implement my advice safely. If you were a licensed electrician a little poke here or there wouldn't be out of line. As an apprentice doing this for the first time I think you did a pretty good job overall.

· Registered
IBEW 34 Apprentice
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quite a few mistakes that have already been addressed above. If you said more than "how did I do" In your first post he wouldn't have asked if you were DIY. Generally people here are very helpful towards apprentices. We get a lot of DIY and homeowners trying to get free advice, and my self am a little leary of helping someone out that may not fully understand or implement my advice safely. If you were a licensed electrician a little poke here or there wouldn't be out of line. As an apprentice doing this for the first time I think you did a pretty good job overall.
Is there room for an electric furnace and tankless water heater on a 150 AMP main in this size of a home? It’s a combined 1,200 sq. ft..

· Registered
IBEW 34 Apprentice
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The only time I use a 150 amp service is if I’m forced to. That could be an existing service entrance that is too expensive to replace. Or a limiting factor imposed by the utility or supply. 200 amp panels are more common, cheaper, and available.
Can I supply a 200A panel with a 200A meter/ main disconnect combo with feed-through lugs?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts