Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well boy I've got a good one....

Remodel 1500sqft home taken over from a DIY. Pulled permit, passed inspection, they happily paid the bill and life is good. Another great job in the books right....?

2 months later, homeowner calls and has HOBART there to install their dishwasher with an 8KW booster heater.

ME- UM, I'm sorry sir your not going to be able to connect that piece of equipment to that circuit that we provided you for a standard dishwasher.

HO- Well what do you mean, I told you I was buying a nice dishwasher.

ME- No, your house was a 1500sqft dinger and this was never brought up.

HO- Oh, I see where you going with this, I'm not an electrician how can I
tell you what to run for a circuit.

ME- Sir, I'm not a mind reader. If you are installing non standard appliances you would have needed to give me a cut sheet or specifications that I could follow.....

HO- (really pist and Basically in not so many words) I'm going to sue you for the circuit, the drywall, etc, etc, etc.

ME- Sir, I will install the circuit, you pay for the material and the drywall repairs (Thats too nice in my eyes..)

Note: Formal walk through, no plans, permitted job. SLAB FLOOR, ITS GOING TO BE A MESS TO GET THE CIRCUIT THERE!!!!!

I really think this guy has the nerve to file a claim against us.

You be the jury.. Who is wrong? and what would be the outcome?:001_huh:

·
13,020 Posts
I'm not really involved in the business end of things, so my opinion is minimally valid.

I'd say the homeowner is at fault for not supplying you with specs on the equipment he was putting in.

And I'd say you're at fault for not covering your ass and making sure there wasn't weird stuff going in.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
32,864 Posts
If he does sue you be prepared to defend yourself. This doesn't mean you did wrong, just get yourself prepared. I hope you had a contract. I hope your contract said something to the effect "per plans provided at time of bid" and the plans said dishwasher not Hobart dishwasher. Listen, if I go buy a two decker bus and it won't fit into my garage that is no reason for me to think I can demand the builder( well that would be me also in this case but I digress....) should have built the garage to handle any vehicle I decided to go out and purchase.

Reactions: Teaspoon

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,167 Posts
8kw booster is ridiculous. He must leave dishes in the sink for a month and then has to steam them clean.

I would say you are correct however I always ask for a cut sheet. If they hadn't picked one out then that;s another story. You need a 45-50 amp circuit for the dang .

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts

Remodel 1500sqft home taken over from a DIY. Pulled permit, passed inspection, they happily paid the bill and life is good. Another great job in the books right....?

2 months later, homeowner calls and has HOBART there to install their dishwasher with an 8KW booster heater.

ME- UM, I'm sorry sir your not going to be able to connect that piece of equipment to that circuit that we provided you for a standard dishwasher.

ME- Sir, I'm not a mind reader. If you are installing non standard appliances you would have needed to give me a cut sheet or specifications that I could follow.....

HO- (really pist and Basically in not so many words) I'm going to sue you for the circuit, the drywall, etc, etc, etc.

ME- Sir, I will install the circuit, you pay for the material and the drywall repairs (Thats too nice in my eyes..)

Note: Formal walk through, no plans, permitted job. SLAB FLOOR, ITS GOING TO BE A MESS TO GET THE CIRCUIT THERE!!!!!

The HO does not have a pot to piss in.:eek:

You have got to laugh at this one the HO really fixed him self good this time tell him it will $8000 :eek::laughing:

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
32,864 Posts
Well, I'm not an attorney, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn once.... If you have a signed time and material contract I would say you have nothing much to worry about as long as what you did put in was to code and works. He wants a bigger dw to go there, he can keep paying you. Cancel the free labor business, its his fault not yours. Make him pay or tell him to find another fool.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I don't think there is any Hobart unit listed for use in a dwelling.

Reactions: sbrn33

·
Registered
145 Posts
HO should have been more specific about what he was planning to purchase. Buying a nice DW to me could mean someone is going to buy a brand name appliance.

Is there a conduit in slab for existing DW circuit?

·
Fried Bologna um um good!
8,094 Posts
I won't bid a job without a cut sheet for all appliances. Been there done that. I would offer to install it for the price of the materials because I want happy customers. I would point out to him that most nice dishwashers run off a 20 amp circuit.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Just wait till the refrigeration guy shows up with the walk in cooler you ran the wrong circuit for.

He's gonna be pissed at you.;)

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
HO should have been more specific about what he was planning to purchase. Buying a nice DW to me could mean someone is going to buy a brand name appliance.
Or a stainless steel extra quiet one. I agree the EC could not have known.

·
Banned
116 Posts
HO

Those crazy HO's. Just charge him for a new full circuit and tap it off the stove a few feet away. He'll never know :brows: Besides, you cook first then wash after anyhow. It would probably hold and never pop I betcha

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
Tell the homeowner you ran the circuit for a nice dishwasher.

For a mere XXX dollars, you can re-run a new circuit for the insanely nice dishwasher.

I really think this guy is sword rattling. He gave vague requirements, and you fulfilled them. You were working to his plan and spec. His specs just sucked, is all. It's easy to Monday morning quarterback this situation, but I really think you did just fine.

·
evil bastard
15,771 Posts
And I'd say you're at fault for not covering your ass and making sure there wasn't weird stuff going in.
Just my poinion, but I don't think the EC has ANY fault in this. He ran the same circuit that everyone else in this forum would have ran if we were told "nice dishwasher" and nothing more.

He's without a doubt wrong

The HO does not have a pot to piss in.:eek:

:eek::laughing:
Nor a leg to stand on

I won't bid a job without a cut sheet for all appliances. Been there done that. I would offer to install it for the price of the materials because I want happy customers. I would point out to him that most nice dishwashers run off a 20 amp circuit.

Every job you do has cutshets? I call BS:laughing: just like never failing an inspection:whistling2:

·
Ayuh
1,112 Posts

The only thing that would make me nervous is, if the customer is threatening to sue would I even get paid for installing the 50 amp circuit. I don't like it when people come out swinging like that.

He sounds like a real piece of work.

·
Banned
7,355 Posts
If he sues get a lawyer otherwise you did your job. I am sueing a customer for payment he claims we connected the 220 backwards and caused his hot water heater element to fail.Another customer complained because we charged a service call fee for comming out to his house a second time to work on a different problem. No more free rides just to make customers happy.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts