Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please help me out with the formula for this, I thought it was Total Resistance = R^-1 + R^-1 + R^-1. Ie, 50^-1+100^-1+100^-1 = 0.0201 Obvisouly thats incorrect.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
it's in parallal, R1 x R2 x R3/ R1 + R2 + R3...

Not leaving my VA Boys (ACC) to go look at School Books!

·
Registered
196 Posts
You know about the reciprocal button on the calculator right (x-1)? Makes these calcs so much quicker. (don't mean to be insulting but a lot of people in my class didn't know this and were using division all the time)

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
You know about the reciprocal button on the calculator right (x-1)? Makes these calcs so much quicker. (don't mean to be insulting but a lot of people in my class didn't know this and were using division all the time)
You would not believe how many Calculators don't have that button...

Parallel Circuits:

Circuit resistance --- is: (1 / (1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ...)

Voltage --- The voltage drop across all components connected in parallel must equal the supply voltage.

Current --- Total circuit current is equal to the sum of all parallel branch currents

Power --- Total circuit power is equal to the sum of the branch current times the supply voltage. In other words, the I x E power dissipated in each branch of a paralle circuit must add up to be equal to total circuit current time supply voltage.

GO VA

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I know that... now

I'm trying to figure out what ^ meanx...... :)

There goes my bracket!

·
Registered
Electrician
4,428 Posts
You could also make two circuits out of the three since two Rs are the same.
If two R are the same, you can take half of the total of the two.
So (2) 100 R would be 50

Now since the other R is 50 you now have (2) 50 R

So half of 50 = 25

1 - 20 of 27 Posts