Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
ablyss said:
Well you are mistaken. 2pole and 3pole breakers can and do exist as multiwire branch circuits. Think of a cubicle. Your 208 "single phase" example is completely wrong and not even possible. As I said earlier, you need two of the three phases to get 208.
Do your homework before you start with that kind of talk. A 2 wire 208 volt circuit with two ungrounded conductors is a single phase circuit no matter how you try rationalize it

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
ablyss said:
Actually I think this would qualify.... I can see where this might get confusing, at least from where I've researched. Feel free to correct me on this manner as I will admit my background is more on residential. So here goes my thoughts... On the commercial side of things the term single phase 208v is used to describe the connection utilizing the wild leg on a 240/120-volt 4-wire delta. To my knowledge that is it but please elaborate. Also, there seems to be, unknowingly to me, a lot water heaters that use this very connection and the nameplate will read 208 single phase. Moreover, on a commercial 208Y/120-volt 3-phase wye system, the is no 208v single phase, but rather 208v 3-phase. On the residential side, the term single phase describes the 120/240 single-phase or sometimes referred to as split-phase, supplying homes. On the down low, tt is best to describe breakers in terms of there poles and not the phases they utilize. For example, 1pole, 2pole, 3pole and so on and never use the term 1phase 2phase or 3phase to describe breakers. That's all I got to offer on that.:thumbup: I'm actually a native southern and believe me, on my worst of worst of days I make the south look like fracking geniuses. Down here they get spoon fed at the golden corral every night, idolize honey boo boo and take religion way too seriously. :rolleyes:
In terms of a 208/120 volt wye system, a two wire circuit using two ungrounded conductors is a single phase circuit. The phase is made between the two ungrounded conductors. Also in that same wye system a single phase circuit is made through an ungrounded conductor and a neutral. It seems like you're using two phases for your 208 volt single phase motors, water heaters, or whatever but it's not "2 phase". That is a whole other animal.

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
ablyss said:
A nameplate will state the phases, as in 3phase 208v, or 1phase 240v and so on. To simply say only one phase is being used in a 208v wye system is incorrect to me.
I agree it's tough to conceive but google "208 volt single phase" and you'll find more than enough resources to help explain how it works. I'm tapped

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
ablyss said:
WTF do you even read the stuff you recommend?
No I didn't read it I just found something quick. Bad info perhaps but the bottom line is It's pretty obvious you don't understand the fundamentals of three phase and single phase. Next time you see a 208 volt phase motor look and see how many "phases" it takes. And thanks for the pictures but I'm good. You're the one with delusions of "2 phase" all over the place

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.