Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
It's against code to put different manufacturers breakers in a panel.. If it's a qo 40 space panel and there are 40 panel spots they won't fit anywhere if it's a qo 40 space panel and there are 30 spots then 10 spots will allow a cheater breaker. They are usually grouped on top or bottom and will have a little tit on the buss to hold the breaker.

·
Registered
109 Posts
That is true so article 110.3(b) states you must follow manufactures specifications... Without looking it up(don't hold me to it) I believe that

Eaton, Cutler hammer, Bryant, Westinghouse can be interchanged... Seimens, Ite, Crouse hinds, Murray, Gould can be interchanged... GE Cannot be and Square D cannot be

Please tell me how it "simply is not true" that it's against code to put different manufactures breakers in a panel when the ones that are interchangeable are manufactured or owned by the same company.

·
Registered
109 Posts
But the manufacture says they can be interchanged so they can be. I was speaking on the person talking about a cutler hammer in a square d and I have 100% confidence that those are not interchangeable.

·
Registered
109 Posts
And you find out per manufactures specifications.. We are fighting the same argument here.. Perhaps my broad statement should have ended with unless manufacture specifications specify. But since we were talking about a specific brand (square d) which doesn't allow any other brands I diddnt see the need.

·
Registered
109 Posts
ablyss said:
My point behind this was, as I said earlier the definition itself simply states "a multiwire branch is any branch circuit with more than one ungrounded conductor with a neutral" and that the circuit SHOULD be on a 2/pole or 3/pole breaker. What I meant and the way I worded it came out wrong. I won't argue with you on the clarifications of single phase. Even though it's a misnomer. I'll just say anytime you have an electrical system, you have phase(s) plural. :thumbsup: My lack of experience in high leg deltas is pretty obvious. I'm not afraid to say it. :icon_redface: :thumbsup:
You statement was that all 2 and 3 pole breakers are mwbc's and 480sparky said inaccurate and you disagreed. Motors are a huge part of being an electrician and 80% of 3 pole breakers I put in are not mwbcs they feed motors. Even if you are a residential electrician you must have installed baseboard heaters, water heaters, well pumps, condensers or air handlers that have been 240v no neutral

·
Registered
109 Posts
circuitman1 said:
btw there was a company called CLASSIFIED that made breakers that would fit a QO panel. if memory serves me right , SQ D filed a lawsuit against them for patent infringement. plus i belive they made brekers for other panels also, just don't rember who.:whistling2:
Yeah they made breakers but square d does not except them in there panels therefor it is still violating code

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.