Electrician Talk banner
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
circuitman1 said:
btw there was a company called CLASSIFIED that made breakers that would fit a QO panel. if memory serves me right , SQ D filed a lawsuit against them for patent infringement. plus i belive they made brekers for other panels also, just don't rember who.:whistling2:
Yeah they made breakers but square d does not except them in there panels therefor it is still violating code

·
Pool Shark
472 Posts
No one has said that 2/3-poles can't be a MWBC, only that that is not the only (or primary) use for them.
Actually I think this would qualify....
A 240V circuit is not a MWBC.

Anytime you only use two phases you are using single phase.
Example: 240V single phase (L1-L2) load from a 120/240V 3ph system = single phase load
208V single phase (L1-L-2) resistive heater from a 208/120V system = single phase load.
I can see where this might get confusing, at least from where I've researched. Feel free to correct me on this manner as I will admit my background is more on residential.

So here goes my thoughts...

On the commercial side of things the term single phase 208v is used to describe the connection utilizing the wild leg on a 240/120-volt 4-wire delta. To my knowledge that is it but please elaborate.
Also, there seems to be, unknowingly to me, a lot water heaters that use this very connection and the nameplate will read 208v single phase.
Moreover, on a commercial 208Y/120-volt 3-phase wye system, there is no 208v single phase, but rather 208v 3-phase.

On the residential side, the term single phase describes the 120/240 single-phase or sometimes referred to as split-phase, supplying homes.

On the down low, it is best to describe breakers in terms of there poles and not the phases they utilize. For example, 1pole, 2pole, 3pole and so on and never use the term 1phase 2phase or 3phase to describe breakers.

That's all I got to offer on that.:thumbup:

You are new here and I'm trying to help you out in a kind way. But you're not making it easy!:jester: I'm thinking you must be a transplant to the "South", because you're making us look bad!:laughing:
I'm actually a native southern and believe me, on my worst of worst of days I make the south look like fracking geniuses. Down here they get spoon fed at the golden corral every night, idolize honey boo boo and take religion way too seriously.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
ablyss said:
Actually I think this would qualify.... I can see where this might get confusing, at least from where I've researched. Feel free to correct me on this manner as I will admit my background is more on residential. So here goes my thoughts... On the commercial side of things the term single phase 208v is used to describe the connection utilizing the wild leg on a 240/120-volt 4-wire delta. To my knowledge that is it but please elaborate. Also, there seems to be, unknowingly to me, a lot water heaters that use this very connection and the nameplate will read 208 single phase. Moreover, on a commercial 208Y/120-volt 3-phase wye system, the is no 208v single phase, but rather 208v 3-phase. On the residential side, the term single phase describes the 120/240 single-phase or sometimes referred to as split-phase, supplying homes. On the down low, tt is best to describe breakers in terms of there poles and not the phases they utilize. For example, 1pole, 2pole, 3pole and so on and never use the term 1phase 2phase or 3phase to describe breakers. That's all I got to offer on that.:thumbup: I'm actually a native southern and believe me, on my worst of worst of days I make the south look like fracking geniuses. Down here they get spoon fed at the golden corral every night, idolize honey boo boo and take religion way too seriously. :rolleyes:
In terms of a 208/120 volt wye system, a two wire circuit using two ungrounded conductors is a single phase circuit. The phase is made between the two ungrounded conductors. Also in that same wye system a single phase circuit is made through an ungrounded conductor and a neutral. It seems like you're using two phases for your 208 volt single phase motors, water heaters, or whatever but it's not "2 phase". That is a whole other animal.

·
Pool Shark
472 Posts
In terms of a 208/120 volt wye system, a two wire circuit using two ungrounded conductors is a single phase circuit. The phase is made between the two ungrounded conductors. Also in that same wye system a single phase circuit is made through an ungrounded conductor and a neutral. It seems like you're using two phases for your 208 volt single phase motors, water heaters, or whatever but it's not "2 phase". That is a whole other animal.
A nameplate will state the phases, as in 3phase 208v, or 1phase 240v and so on. To simply say only one phase is being used in a 208v wye system is incorrect to me.

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
ablyss said:
A nameplate will state the phases, as in 3phase 208v, or 1phase 240v and so on. To simply say only one phase is being used in a 208v wye system is incorrect to me.
I agree it's tough to conceive but google "208 volt single phase" and you'll find more than enough resources to help explain how it works. I'm tapped

·
Pool Shark
472 Posts
I'm finding some serious issues with that article

208 is a special case of a wye connection. Instead of neutral being the common secondary of three transformers, each with 240 available with respect to neutral, neutral is the center tap of one transformer, and there are three hot legs, A, B, and C. A and B are 120 volts away from neutral, and they are 240 volts away from each other.
Here he is describing a 208Y/120-volt system using 240v An incorrect statement. WTF do you even read the stuff you recommend?

This configuration, three phase 240, with one phase 120/240 split, and 208, is known as quadraplex, and is a cost effective solution to providing three phase power at the same time as traditional 120/240 split phase power, to a small business.
Here here seems to be explaining how quadraplex service drops gives a business 208Y pluss 120/240V single-phase. WTF ??

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
ablyss said:
WTF do you even read the stuff you recommend?
No I didn't read it I just found something quick. Bad info perhaps but the bottom line is It's pretty obvious you don't understand the fundamentals of three phase and single phase. Next time you see a 208 volt phase motor look and see how many "phases" it takes. And thanks for the pictures but I'm good. You're the one with delusions of "2 phase" all over the place

·
Registered
3,353 Posts

·
Pool Shark
472 Posts
You're the one with delusions of "2 phase" all over the place
No, a nameplate will state voltage and phases...1 or 3...there is no 2 phase.
You and your buddy like to imagine I said 2 phase, but it never happen.

To get 208 you need at least two of the three phases.
I did say this ^^
This is correct because...
In a 240Y/120 wye 3-phase two of the three phases are required to get 208v. Get with it man. It's not rocket science and please, please read something before you post it.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,474 Posts
You and your buddy like to imagine I said 2 phase, but it never happen.

I did say this ^^
This is correct because...
In a 240Y/120 wye 3-phase two of the three phases are required to get 208v. Get with it man. It's not rocket science and please, please read something before you post it.
You're talking about two different voltages/systems. You won't get 208V between two of the legs/phases on a 240/120V system. If it is a delta with a high leg you will get 208V phase to neutral from the high leg.

Only time you get 208V between phases/legs is on a 208/120V system.
If you have a wye you're not going to have a 240/120V system.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.