Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am going to apply for the A-card program here in Chicago within the next few months. I have friends and uncles that are electricians and an uncle that is a retired electrician. I know the economy is tough and finding work as an electrician may be even tougher, but I feel that this is a great opportunity for me. I hope to meet some fellow residents on this site and hear from them regarding the current work situation for Local 134.

Joe

·
Conduit Extraordinare
2,365 Posts
Lu 134

The situation is bad.

They are saying about 2 years..for some on the books till they have a job...

Remember people tell YOU what THEY want you to hear....

I bet they are underestimating it as there may never be a full recovery. We are on our way back to the stone age, and you do not need electricity there.:jester:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Makes you wonder why they would open up the apprentice programs if there are so many out of work right now. I know it's cheaper to pay an Apprentice opposed to a Journeyman, but if the union is flooded with apprentices then why even bother with the programs?

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I am going to apply for the A-card program here in Chicago within the next few months. I have friends and uncles that are electricians and an uncle that is a retired electrician. I know the economy is tough and finding work as an electrician may be even tougher, but I feel that this is a great opportunity for me. I hope to meet some fellow residents on this site and hear from them regarding the current work situation for Local 134.

Joe
You can also try non union so you can get you're foot in the door..

Welcome to the forum..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Get in to the apprentice program if you can. If they are going for cheap labor then there you go. If you get on the books in five years you can move on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get in to the apprentice program if you can. If they are going for cheap labor then there you go. If you get on the books in five years you can move on.
The only things is that I would be giving up my current occupation as an artist in hopes of becoming and staying an electrician as my career path. If something happens after four years of trade school and I end up unemployed, I doubt I could turn back to the field that I am currently in. Since it's all computer based art work, falling behind means you are rendered useless due to the speed of technology and those using it. Also, being 32 years old with a family to support, I am looking to work hard, make money and grow as a union worker. I appreciate the suggestions and comments for all of you.

Joe

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
You're an artist and you're thinking of becoming a electrician? Not to be ornery but have you ever done construction?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're an artist and you're thinking of becoming a electrician? Not to be ornery but have you ever done construction?

Hahaha.... I understand why you would ask that. My father owned a remodeling/renovating business and I have been working with tools my whole life. I have done a little bit of everything including electrical, but I am not saying that I'm expert by any means. I have never worked construction though. I currently work mostly with architects and interior designers so I am familiar with blueprints and CAD drawings.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
It's more about slinging conduit, installing MC, pulling wire and humping heavy stuff around and digging. For the most part that's what a newer electrician will be doing.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
It seems you have marketable skills now. Are you looking to move to electrical work because you believe you will make more money, you hate what you do, you can't find a job in what you do, you really miss physical work?

·
Banned
4,506 Posts
The only one who can make you a brother is your mother...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The C-card program is opening up soon, but I heard there is no work available for those guys. This sounds weird since the "wave of the future" is internet based. What I did hear though, is that A card guys are running all of the CAT5 and CAT6 lines while running a lot of the other wires leaving no need for C card guys to come in.

I here they're looking for commnication guys in 134

1 - 20 of 36 Posts