Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the electric aisle at home depot today. There was a gentleman who was without power asking the elderly employee essentially how to backfeed his panel to get the heat on.

I politely said, 'please call an electrician' as I overheard this.... the gentlemen snapped back "I am an electrician, local whatever"....

So around here I guess there are "electricians" needing advice from the HD employees. Also the HD employee pointed him in the direction to the local supply house a block away, for something the store didn't have.... this 'electrician' never heard of the supply house either.... ouch. Lots of power out today, hopefully someone doesn't get zapped by this jokers generator.

This got me to thinking about all the irresponsible advice people probably seek at the HD.... got any horror stories?

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
I was in the electric aisle at home depot today. There was a gentleman who was without power asking the elderly employee essentially how to backfeed his panel to get the heat on.

I politely said, 'please call an electrician' as I overheard this.... the gentlemen snapped back "I am an electrician, local whatever"....

So around here I guess there are "electricians" needing advice from the HD employees. Also the HD employee pointed him in the direction to the local supply house a block away, for something the store didn't have.... this 'electrician' never heard of the supply house either.... ouch. Lots of power out today, hopefully someone doesn't get zapped by this jokers generator.

This got me to thinking about all the irresponsible advice people probably seek at the HD.... got any horror stories?

This has been going on forever. Asking an HD employee for electrical installation advise is like asking the pizza delivery guy for stock tips. :whistling2:

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
HD aisle conversations make me shake my head.

Last on I heard was HD employ tells a guy he can feed a 100amp furnace with #2 AL SEU. My response was #2 is only rated that for service entrances. HD employee insists its in all cases, that's what every sign in the store says "no, look up, its clearly stated for 100amps, hes fine" "Ive never heard of a amp restriction on number 2, it would say that if it was the case" :no:

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
:laughing::laughing:

Where you able to return it at least? :eek:
I have several such incidents. standard recept packaged in a GFCi box, that sort of thing. It's one of the reasons I avoid HD like the plague.. unless it is substantially closer than my nearest wholesale house and need something right away.

EDIT HD will return anything and smile while they are doing it..

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
I pick up a 200 amp overhead meter base one day. Got it out to the job........opened the box....there was a old VCR in the box taped up like it was new. The VCR was perfect size.........didn't rattle in the package
Shockdoc strikes again!!:laughing:

Pete

·
Registered
225 Posts
I was in the aisle a few years ago and over heard a young couple telling the HD employee that they just bought a new house and the dryer cord would not fit in the plug, so I had to stand close by and listen. They had 3 employees trying to figure out what to do. They grabbed one of the Leviton plugs that you can change the configuration on and told the couple to cut the old 3 wire plug off and put this new one on.
So after the HD employees walked away I walked over and grab a 4 wire cord with plug and explained to them what they needed to do. I could not just let them go home and try that. A HD guy walked over and heard me telling them what to do and gave me a nasty look.

·
Jesus Scott
9,382 Posts
One time I had to run a 20A-2P circuit for baseboard electric heat in my home and the HD employee tried to convince me that I needed at least #10 AWG.

At least it wasn't a dangerous suggestion.
I heard this exact conversation in Worcester Home Depot a month or two ago. :laughing:

The guy initially had Tstat wire. :eek:

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts

He's no horror story :rolleyes:

In fact , whoever he is , he's a complete piker

One good storm here i ran around with a genny , backfeeding a number of people i know through cellar windows w/12-2 backfeeding 240 into anything i could scab on to, so they could heat up their home. etc

I'm a horror story

and I'm still at large!

~C(pleading fowl play)S~

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
I went to HD for grass seed and found 2 of the exact same generator I have marked down for clearance to $249.00. They were no longer going to carry that brand. Bought them both (boxes were shot) and waited. Sold each for $900.00 when Hurricane Sandy hit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Home Depot advise

I am a Licensed master electrician in NYC and when I hear Home Depot employees giving Electrical advice I Contact the corporate office and file a Complaint and I Contact the store manager and File a complaint with him. These idiots that work there are the Number one cause of Dangerous and illegal electrical installations!

·
39 Posts
One time I had to run a 20A-2P circuit for baseboard electric heat in my home and the HD employee tried to convince me that I needed at least #10 AWG.

At least it wasn't a dangerous suggestion.
Oh yeah, you need at least #10. You know what I'm talking about that "220 wire". Around here if it's #10 or bigger it's "220 wire". #12 and #14 are not.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I am a Licensed master electrician in NYC and when I hear Home Depot employees giving Electrical advice I Contact the corporate office and file a Complaint and I Contact the store manager and File a complaint with him. These idiots that work there are the Number one cause of Dangerous and illegal electrical installations!
My plan is a HD retirement job, hint of gin, & bad :censored: advise

In fact, if the notion goes viral, we could take HD down

fight fire w/fire!

~CS~

·
Never Used Scotchkote
2,811 Posts
I have a few from me working there so far.

2 people already looking for suicide cords

Some guy wanted to wire a room with splitters and extension cords. I told him it was illegal unsafe and against code. His response was " no you are wrong it's all safe because I upgraded my service"

Last that thought I gave her the wrong switches because the new ones had a green screw that the old ones didn't have, so they must be the wrong ones!

Had a guy that wanted to wire his generator directly to the circuits and take them out of his panel. He didn't understand why it wouldn't work.

I am literally the only one in the store with any clue of how to do anything. It's scary.

·
Jesus Scott
9,382 Posts
This NYC must be a boring place with nothing to do. :whistling2:

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.