Electrician Talk banner

Hospital grade plugs??

CEC 
5K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Fibes 
#1 ·
I'm going to be working on new dentist office and trying to confirm plug types I need for patient care are. It looks like it needs to be ISO ground. However some are saying it has to be hospital grade ISO ground. I don't see anything in code saying it HAS to be hospital grade. If I'm missing it. Let me know the code I'm not finding. Thanks

#7 ·
I know the NEC rules don't apply to you guys up there but I did a dental office and the line was drawn with local anesthesia and general anesthesia. If they were to practice general anesthesia I would've had to put in a backup power generator and lighting and fortify the medical operating room to medical grade specs.

However this wasn't the case for me here. Instead they were just doing local anesthesia. So I ran EMT with a redundant ground to the x-ray and sterilization equipment and supplied tamper resistant outlets for any outlet I thought a child could tamper with.

I also had to wire up a low voltage emergency cut off sensor to the nitrous oxide containers. Was fun but a was like pulling teeth:laughing: trying to get all the info I needed.

#14 ·
Last dental office we did, the furniture came prewired to jbs in the kick space. We didn't have to do separate neutrals or full size grounds.

Get the engineer to clarify the area usage.
-
24-104 basically says you have a run a minimum #12 ground, and since they don't make #12 bare, you install green.
AND, you install a ground for EACH neutral you install.
Be careful when you get your iso ground #12 AC90, as they make one with the full size iso ground (that's the one you want) and the standard assembly which uses a#14 ground.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.