Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I seem to not be understanding code on the NEC requirement for GFCI receptacle (not the disconnect) requirements.

I'm reading in NEC that Multi-Family Dwellings require a GFCI receptacle near the Hot-Tub.

However the NEC on Single Family Dwellings seems to be saying that if you install a receptacle near a Hot-Tub it must be GFCI protected, but not that you must install a GFCI receptacle.

Does code require for a single-family-dwelling that a GFCI receptacle must be installed?

Thanks

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
Hello,

I seem to not be understanding code on the NEC requirement for GFCI receptacle (not the disconnect) requirements.

I'm reading in NEC that Multi-Family Dwellings require a GFCI receptacle near the Hot-Tub.

However the NEC on Single Family Dwellings seems to be saying that if you install a receptacle near a Hot-Tub it must be GFCI protected, but not that you must install a GFCI receptacle.

Does code require for a single-family-dwelling that a GFCI receptacle must be installed?

Thanks
Look in section 680

Reactions: ce2two

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
Thanks, I found it in 680.22(3), although it says "pools". I guess "pools" also means Hot-Tub.

Yes, most of the pool rules apply to outdoor hot tubs and some apply to indoor as well.

IV. Spas and Hot Tubs
680.40 General.
Electrical installations at spas and hot tubs
shall comply with the provisions of Part I and Part IV of this
article.
680.42 Outdoor Installations. A spa or hot tub installed outdoors
shall comply with the provisions of Parts I and II of this
article, except as permitted in 680.42(A) and (B), that would
otherwise apply to pools installed outdoors.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,036 Posts
Make sure we are talking Hot Tubs and not hydromassage tubs. Tubs , usually in a bathroom, that get filled up for every use is a hydromassage tub not a spa or hot tub

If it is truely a hot tub then what BBQ said is correct

Reactions: onilozay

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,036 Posts
You can't close a thread. A mod can but there is no reason to close it. :thumbsup: Oh and welcome to the forum

·
Registered
497 Posts
That is interesting. The CEC treats them much the same.
68-000 Scope

(2) A pool shall be deemed to include
(a) permanently installed and storable swimming pools;
(b) hydromassage bathtubs;
(c) spas and hot tubs;
(d) wading pools;
(e) baptismal pools; and
(f) decorative pools.
There are specific differences in the code, but as per the terminology, they are the same.

And welcome onilozay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts