Electrician Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only done a couple of commercial pools. This guy wants his tub basically out in the yard on dirt. I read back thru 680.42, 680.26, etc. Am understanding this right ?: All I need is one #8 circled around the tub 4 to 6" below grade and 18 to 24" from edge of unit ? (and attached to motor lug, and metal etc.) ??

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I've only done a couple of commercial pools. This guy wants his tub basically out in the yard on dirt. I read back thru 680.42, 680.26, etc. Am understanding this right ?: All I need is one #8 circled around the tub 4 to 6" below grade and 18 to 24" from edge of unit ? (and attached to motor lug, and metal etc.) ??
they wouldn't require that here

normally just a #10 back to the spa panel with the other wiring and call it good

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
IDK if the install would fly here. We (NYS) need 2 inspections for tubs. The general installation and the electrical inspection. I have never seen a unit sitting on the ground, decks yes, concrete pads yes and pressure treated platforms. I am looking it up now under NYS NEC-supplemental.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,537 Posts
Yes unless as Pete stated the TIA may be in effect. IN NC it was not accepted

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I gotta call the inspector tomorrow I guess and find out. Didn't show up on our website. I just though I was missing something. thanks for the replies

·
Can't Remember
11,077 Posts
They may not be even aware of it. I remember bringing in a copy of it, the one with all the substantiation of it and the inspector hardly looked and said sure and could he keep the copy for his own reading. In my case, we didn't want to hack up the concrete patio it was sitting on and could meet the stipulations of the TIA. Out in the center of the yard on dirt doesn't sound too bad unless the ground is all frozen.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.